Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 7 years ago

Is there any certain ways to discern a Welsh accent vs an general English accent?

I was watching a movie that starred the actress "Pam Ferris". My friend and I were debating whether she was english or welsh after I made the comment that I love english accents and the way she sounded. She said, uhhh she is not English, she is obviously Welsh. After looking her up I was indeed wrong, and stood corrected. I'm american, and my friend spent time in England and said she couldn't describe how they sound different she just knows the difference. I saw a page on other Welsh actors/actresses that I assumed were English at first and was amazed. How can one tell a discernable difference in both accents?

• TSK
    Favorite Answer

The accent that AUSTRALIAN raised actress was doing was not WELSH.....Our Welsh accents are sing song.....

Just a little extra info...When you hear an accent from South Wales it sounds much more "WELSH" than ours from the North, to outsiders...even though the Welsh language is not as strong in the South as it is in the North......When we are speaking English to many it sounds much LESS Welsh than what they imagine a WELSH accent should sound like.....About 20% of the Welsh people are bilingual Welsh/English..The majority speak ONLY English....

Source(s): WELSH from North Wales...where our accent is Welsh with a hint of nearby LIVERPOOL....in NW England....

The previous answers are right - we tend to have a musical sounding lilt to the way we speak. I am from South Wales so I have a traditional accent that English speakers think of when welsh people speak. Our words melt into one continual long word!

We tend to use a mix of English and Welsh called Wenglish also, so we use many words that most non welsh english speakers don't understand as they tend to come from the welsh language.

There is a series of books call Talk Tidy which are used as an educational tool on the Welsh accent and peculiar choice of words!

• Cogito

Just because someone is Welsh, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have a Welsh accent - and most actors will have learned to speak in RP (Received Pronunciation) English, most of the time.

The real Welsh accent is very different from RP - if you can, listen to Ioan Gruffudd (which is pronounced Yo-an Griffith) because his accent is very Welsh. Catherine Zeta Jones' normal accent is too.

I'm from the far south west of England, where many of the residents have a 'West Country' accent, but I don't. My father did, but my mother is Welsh - so somehow I ended up with an RP neutral sort of accent.

The Welsh accent has a lovely lilt to it though the welsh language can sound quite throaty. The welsh are famous for their male voice choirs and the accent is quite musical.

Tom Jones and Anthony Hopkins are welsh, as was Richard Burton.

If you want to hear a welsh woman then look up Joanna Page and the programme 'Gavin and Stacey' . Also listen to these:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-1kmoLHjI

Which Welsh accent?...the sing-songy..."look you boyo, b'there, isn't it, there is wonderful" accent of South Wales resembling Gladys Emmanuel on hi-de- hi or the North Wales accent ( that I have)? Which English accent...Geordie, Brummie, Scouse, Cockney, West u . s . a ...etc etc..??

Pam Ferris Gavin And Stacey

Yes indeed.

Here is actress Ruth Madoc as 'Gladys Pugh' doing the morning announcements for the holidaymakers at 'Maplins Holiday Camp'...