Is the Toyota Tundra any good?

Hi, so I have about $15,000 saved up for a new truck (or maybe car). I was just wondering if the Toyota Tundra is a good truck. Do they get good gas mileage? How long does their engine last? Is their brake system any good? How dependable are they? It will mainly be used as just a daily driver and I wouldn't be hauling anything or pulling any major loads.

Thanks for any info!!!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Eric P
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are great trucks--they have consistently been more reliable than truck offerings from the "big three" and for the 2007 redesign, it was seriously beefed up with a huge differential third member and brakes and very powerful engines.

The 1st generation of Tundra (2000-2007), was a bit smaller and lighter-duty. They were considered 7/8 of fullsize. The 4.7L V-8 is very smooth (it is Lexus derived) and powerful for its day. In 2005, the 4.7 received variable valve timing (VVT-i) and has higher power output than the earlier 4.7 without sacrificing fuel economy. A double-cab version was added in 2003. The 2000-2003 Tundra did have a recall issue with frame rust. Research this if you are looking at these years. The 4.7 does have a timing belt that should be replaced every 90,000 miles.

The 2007+ second generation of the Tundra is larger than the 1st gen and is heavier-duty. Many different configurations were available in the 2nd gen, including 3 different bed lengths, 4 different cab sizes and 3 engine choices. These trucks are capable of some serious work. A 5.7 Tundra Crewmax was used to tow the 170,000 lb Endeavor Space shuttle on the final leg of its journey to the California Science Center.

Resale value is high for pre-owned Tundras and new Tundras start at $25,455 MSRP for a regular cab, 2wd V-6. In the used market, 2wd Tundras cost considerably less than 4wds. Fuel economy varies depending on the year and configuration of Tundra. Here are a few numbers:

Year Config City Combined Highway (all in miles/gal)

2013 2wd 4.0 16 17 20

2013 4wd 5.7 13 15 17

2003 2wd 3.4 15 16 18

2003 4wd 4.7 13 14 16

If you are not towing or hauling, the Tundra makes a pretty thirsty daily driver. You might look at the smaller Toyota Tacoma for some better fuel economy. It also has lower purchase prices.

Toyota Tacoma fuel economy examples:

2003 2wd 2.4 5-speed 20 22 25

2003 4wd 2.7 5-speed 16 17 20

2003 4wd 3.4 5-speed 15 16 18

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Toyota Tundra Forum

• Bill S
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

You didn't specify what years you are looking at, but I have 2 Toyota Tundras, the first one is the first generation a 2006 model with the 4.7L V8 5 speed automatic transmission with just shy of 120,000 miles on it, it was used for considerable amounts of towing cross country of a 20 foot travel trailer, so it has all the towing accessories to include firestone airbags in the rear. It runs and drives great as if its still new with over 100k miles on it. My 2nd Toyota Tundra is a 2008 Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7L V8 and the 6 speed automatic transmission. I have 64,600 miles on it and haven't had a single problem with it either. I've driven both considerably on long trips, the 2006 averages around 14mpg in town and around 20mpg on the highway. The 2008 gets about 15mpg in town and around 22mpg on the highway. The problem you are going to find with fuel economy is if you have to use ethanol fuel subtract about 2-3mpg from the numbers as the ethanol is junk and engines don't like to burn it. You will also find yourself hitting the throttle pretty hard for fun LOL.

Engine longitivity is hard to say because you don't know how the vehicle might have been cared for by the previous owner(s). I'm a member of a toyota tundra forum and see some pretty high mileage on the first generation tundras with no major failures some are reporting close to 300,000 miles on first generation tundras with no major issues. There are a few owner's of the 2nd generation tundras reporting close to 200,000 miles with no major issues as well.

Brake systems are like any other truck, its a truck it takes longer to stop, however having both a 1st and 2nd generation tundra I can say the brakes do very well considering the weights of the trucks. Both trucks have anti-lock brakes. The 2nd generation has traction control, stability control which I find annoying most times.

The 2nd generation Tundra was released in 2007, all models prior to 2007 are generation 1.

Engine options for the 1st generation was the 4.0L V6, and the 4.7L V8.

Engine options for the 2nd generation was the 4.0L V6, and up till 2009 the 4.7L V8, then in late 2009 the 4.7L was dropped and a 4.6L V8 took its place, and then the largest 5.7L V8 engine.

NOTE: The 4.7L V8's had timing belts which needed replaced around every 60,000 miles. The 4.6L and the 5.7L V8's are timing chains.

Fuel economy with the V8's seems to be about par with the V6 engines. Sometimes the V8's getting better fuel economy just because they're not working as hard to move the truck as the V6 engines would have to.

The Tundra is available in 2WD or Part Time 4WD options.

You can get regular, double, or crew cab versions in either the 2WD or 4WD configuration.

You can get Base, SR-5, Limited, and Platinum editions, along with the TRD Offroad Package as well.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): 2 Toyota Tundra Owner.
  • doolin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

2006 Toyota Tundra Mpg

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I have a 2003 V8 Tundra. Just hit 295, 000 miles. Changed the T-Belt, Radiator & WP 2 months ago. Then the original alternator went out after 12 years. Then the flasher. Just wear items have been replaced. Still runs like knew & using synthetic oil. It's been a great reliable truck for me!

• 4 years ago

Tacoma or tundra? Frontier or Titan? Ranger or F150? S-10 or Silverado 1500? Dakota or Ram 1500? What are you using the truck for? Seriously dumb question!

• 5 years ago

As long as one does maintainence like changing the timing belt & flush/change fluids they run many many miles...Several reports are over 1/2 million miles. I saw one Tundra with over 700k once selling on ebay with carfax/autocheck records proving it.

Toyota's first full size truck the Toyota T-100 goes alot too. One T-100 named Clyde hit a million miles last yr and she still drives it today. Owner has all dealership records to prove engines never been apart and all original parts still inside except timing belt/waterpump witch are considered ware items.

Google: Clyde glides to a million

fyi: Toyota first gen had 60k belt intervals due to the belts poor materials at that time. But they are much stronger made belts today and now its 90k according to any Toyota mechanic. They'll tell you to change the first one at 60k then 90k after that.

Theres been countless cases of peoples Tundra's who never knew about timing belts and never changed a one and still drove over 200k with normal driving and not towing much, if anything? Its amazing how far a dumb *** who never read their maintenence schedules can go...lol

I once saw 266k on a Lexus V8 without timing belt failure then he changed it soon after learning about it. How can someone be smart enough to afford a brand new Lexus but dumb enough to not maintain one at the same time...Simply amazing to me!!

• 7 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.