Cadillac cts reliability?

I'm about to buy a used cadillac cts, either a 2003 or a 2004. I want someone with personal experience of the cts to tell me how reliable they are, as well as how many miles there rated at, both the automatic and the 5 speed manual.

Best Answer

Austin listen to Humveet what he is saying The CTS by Cadillac is a through away car and do not last at all! Hear is a funny for you, Cadillac introduced the Catera back in 1996 and made it until 2002 or 2003 it was CRAP and then came out with the CTS. The CTS stands for Catera's Twin Sister another GM work of art, NOT! In 2006 I was replacing differential seals like crazy and complete differentials also. I would be careful buying any Cadillac they do not hold up. 1994 to 2004 Northstar motors have oil leaks at oil pan/rear main $2500.00 to fix along with head gasket problems another one to stay a way from. Always remember take any used car that you are thinking of buying to have checked out by dealership or trusted repair garage, BE SMART!

Source(s): 35 years in auto industry 21 years with Cadillac and 10 years with Mercedes.
    • 4 years agoReport

I wouldn't take advice from someone that says "The CTS by Cadillac is a through away car". How ironic that he says "BE SMART!"

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Cadillac cts reliability?

Source(s): cadillac cts reliability: https://tinyurl.im/e/cadillac-cts-reliability

2003 Cadillac Cts Review

2007 Cadillac Cts Review

Have a 2005 Deville, not an issue with that. Have had a 2005 STS, not an issue with that. Traded that in at 100k for something AWD and got a 2010 CTS lemon, and the car was a money pit from day one and falling apart with only 45k on it.

No paid inspection will save you from the $700/month at an Indy shop or $2000/month at a dealer that you will pay to keep a newer CTS up and running. The newer GM cars are literally a throwaway car. With only 45k miles, there's more creaks in this car than a 1987 Yugo GV with 200k on it.

Other CTS owners are also getting rid of their 2011s and older for falling apart, having leaky sunroofs, eating suspension components, etc.

I might believe the older designed models (DTS or STS) might hold up as I'd had great luck, but the CTS was basically designed to be cheap by a bankrupt company that is willing to risk lives to save 25 cents on an ignition switch.

My advice to you? You're better off buying a 1989 (first year) Geo metro with 250k on it. I promise you it will last longer and if you don't believe me, get that and the CTS and find out.

although a handling and response feels great when you drive this car and the strong features of the car make in very attractive inside and out I will never go back to Cadillac again! I got the car used at 26k with 49k miles. First i had to return in for repairs little more then a month later for simple things lumbar, glove box and one of the vents were all broke ($1400 value warranty paid). Later my seat broke i was able to pick the seat up and rest it against the steering wheel ($700 value warranty paid). The light bulbs went out 3 times in the headlights which would not be a big deal if you didn't have to remove the whole front end of the car to change it (800 x 3 including having to replace the light housing from smoking 1200 x 2 warranty and recall later) . Then the water pump failed ($700 repair warranty paid). Then all the coils which i understand that in a maintenance thing but that maintenance was $800. Then the gas pump fail the plastic cracked spilling out gas under my back seat this required dropping the rear axle and then the tank($1200 repair). The same seat has again fallen off is doing the same thing again they will not honer fixing it. my door handle fell off. My key fob has stopped working at times leaving me either stuck somewhere or locked out of the car for small durations of time 5 - 10 min($300 to replace cant afford to pay becuase i am always putting money into maniacal repairs). I had a small leak and needed a new thermostat had to remove then intake manifold to get to it($568). Then the back of my seat has fallen off i have not even started addressing that as i am still recovering from the prior repair($700 repair). Small holes in the leather started to appear and now almost the entire seats leather where i sit is trash ($1000). I asked a friend about it that works on upholstery for cars looked at it and said it was very cheap is not back hide it is grounded from rest of the cow and then sprayed on pvc it looks nice but it fails after so long designed only to last the term of the warranty. When i ask them why so expensive for repairs and why so many the dealership told me well you bought a Cadillac you will have to understand that you will have to maintain a luxury car. I am sorry i don't follow if i pay a higher sticker price i expect higher quality of materials used. We now have 143k miles and of that 94k miles i have placed on the car 90% has been freeway miles. Although most repairs where made in the first 120k miles i would have to say this car will cost more to repair then it value by 150k miles so if you want to spend 40 - 50 k on a car that is mostly made with plastic that after 6 years the life of a 72 month payment plan it will be worth about 9k - 11k and you would be into it 10's of thousands in repairs

If you are going to buy a Cadillac, my first advice is for you to take it to your nearest Cadillac store & have them do the paid inspection. The one they charge you for!!!!!!! Even if you buy it from a Cadillac dealership or other dealership, if they cannot show you the huge inspection sheet, I would have the service dept inspect it & write down anything they see wrong.

I work on Cadillacs for a living at a dealership, would I buy a 2003 CTS??? NO!!!!! IF it wasnt right off the showroom floor with 0 miles, no I would not buy one

The 2.8L & 3.2L engines are the old Catera motors. They are timing belt driven & have issues with oil leaks. They also have issues with the thermostats which is buried in the valley on the engine & a mutha to replace.

If you are deadset on a CTS, I suggest you get one as new as possible with under 100,000 miles. They are not bad little cars, but they do have issues. I would shoot for one over 2006 if possible. Even the 3.6L has its issues as well. They do not tolerate missed oil changes either. They have a bad problem with the timing chains stretching from missed oil changes or long delays in changing the oil. Never go by the Change Oil Life monitor on those, even if it is synthetic. On those, I would stick with 3k-5k miles on oil changes. But whatever car you get, make sure to have it inspected PRIOR to buying it----NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!! People & the dealership have no problems with selling you a crap car, as long as you buy it is their only concern!!! Most states have lemon laws that any car over 100,000 miles is not covered under that lemon law & also means that they are not responsible for any repairs if something should break even right after you buy it if it has over 100,000 miles

but make sure the Cadillac dealership service dept inspects it, just tell them you are thinking about buying it & just want to know what is wrong with it, this usually cost something but this will let you know what is exactly wrong with it!!!! Then you can ask the guy that inspect it is it worth it or not!!!!!

Also, the newer the car, the better your chances are that most items are still covered under special policies from GM like the cat converter which do fail on CTS!!! I think anything 2007 & older may not have that special policy. If you do go to the dealership, most can show you what has been done to the car from the first time it was sold if it was ever brought in to any dealership

To be perfectly honest, I cant see them lasting that long for the simple fact that pretty much every person that owns one may or may not dog it. The harder you run them, the less likely they will make it that long. They do get up & move, not bad for 565HP. I dont think they will last long as for being sold new for the fact that Cadillac needs to re-think its fuel economy & figure out a way to start bringing up the line to better gas mileage because where they are at now, it isnt even close. They got way too many low fuel economy cars/Suv's atm. The CTS is close but not there

It's only as reliable as an Audi, so be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ to maintain and fix the car.