Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 8 years ago

How do I achieve my dream of becoming a ballerina?

I'm 14 years old and I currently am at a local dance school. I do ballet for 3 hours a week because that's all my parents can afford. I also do tap jazz and pointe. I really want to take my career further but my parents can't afford to send me to a better school and I'm realising that its never gonna happen. I want this so much but I have no idea what to do...

I have tried so hard for the last 10 years to achieve my dream but I have now realised I should now on from doing what love doing cause I know I'm not going to make a career out of it... It brings me to tears thinking about this! Please help! What do I do?!?!?

Favorite Answer

First off most professional ballet dancers never achieve the title of ballerina as that is the top female dancer in a professional ballet company.

Most people have no idea what it takes to become a professional ballet dancer. In order to become a professional ballet dancer, you need to be born with the body, facility and musicality that a ballet career requires. Only 2% of the population is born with what is required and no amount of training no matter how young you start can change those things. You could be as thin as a toothpick and not have a ballet body. You need the right muscle and bone structure along with line. Then you need professional not recreational ballet training. Professional world class ballet training is found in feeder schools to professional ballet companies where they will screen you for being in that 2% or they wont train you. Recreational dance schools don't have the proper training to pass on for a career in the ballet. Standard ballet classes are 90 minutes long and anything under 15 hours a week is considered recreational dance training. Most dancers on track for a career in the ballet dorm at their academies if they don't live close. They are either home schooled or get their academics as arranged by their academies so they can train 20-30 hours a week year round and graduate high school early to dance in the ballet.. Training is expected to be complete at age 16 when you would apprentice with a professional ballet company and then join as corps de ballet about 6 months later. Try not to feel too badly. Even dancers who are in the 2% and who get to study at top ballet academies like the School of American Ballet from a very young age, taking intense ballet training year in and year out, not all reach the professional ranks. There are so few jobs.Think how badly they feel with all that time and effort put in and giving up their childhoods for a chance at a ballet career that they wont have.

At 14 and so under trained there is not much you can do. Even if you were in that 2%, your lack of training at this age really takes you out of contention for a ballet career. Even if you could get into professional training at your age. I wont say, don't try, but it is so very unlikely. Your only slim chance is to audition for a world class ballet academy and if they think you have what it takes, they will give you scholarship to study there. They will be expecting not only for you to be in that 2% but at the level of training expected for a dancer your age who as been taking at least 15 hours not 3 hours of ballet classes a week . That is what you are up against.

That being said, who says you have to get paid to enjoy ballet? Ballet careers don't pay well and are over in a flash and then you have the rest of your life to do something else. Dance for the Joy of Dance and ballet can always be a part of your life. Recreational dance is for everyone of every age.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York CIty Ballet)

Honestly, at your age without the right training, it's going to be impossible. I could lie and say with hard work and dedication you can do anything, but it's just not the truth. You would have needed to be at a pre-professional school, taking 20-30 hours of dance (mostly ballet) a week. You are en pointe so that is a plus, but all your training would be getting close to being done as you should be auditioning for companies starting around 16. There is nothing from stopping you from dancing and maybe being a dance teacher one day or dancing for the love of it.

My mother was a professional dancer in the Royal Ballet (I dont know where you're from, but this is still one of the top worldwide companies to be part of). She danced from 6 years old, did local classes etc up until 16 when she got in to Arts Educational, London. You dont have to go to a professional dance school from a very young age to still make it in the business, lots of dance schools will look at your potential and if you are/will be good enough but have financial difficulty they may offer you a bursary, this has JUST happened for my older brother who has got a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music. If they want you enough they will help as much as they can with the fees.

I really hope you make it, but look after yourself! perrforming arts is a cruel business, especially ballet, so be careful! Good luck sweety :)

You're 14? OK, I guess you can't work then but you know what? You could start practicing ballet at home through you tube, trust me it's really helpful and learn some new moves. Then, you could start taking part in ballet competitions which have money prizes. If you win those, you could have enough funds for more ballet classes! I know it's a silly suggestion, but it's all I've got