what is the difference between 1st and 2nd class postage?

I want to send a letter to germany and it costs me 87p (2nd class) today I wanted to buy stamps and I could only buy 1st class stamps for 60p.

So my question is: why is 1st class cheaper than 2nd class? And can I use two 1st class stamps to send my letter or do I need one 2nd class stamp?

Favorite Answer

Forget everything about 1st and 2nd class when you are sending letters abroad - they are just service levels Royal Mail uses for internal post within the UK. When you send mail abroad, the only thing that matters is the weight of the letter and whether it is going airmail or surface mail (all mail to European countries automatically goes by airmail). 87p is the cost of the lowest weight step (up to 10 grams) for mail travelling to Europe. You can use a first class stamp to pay 60p of that 87p, or a second class stamp to pay 50p of it, but you will have to make up the rest with other stamps, or else overpay e.g. by putting two 2nd class stamps on it.

• Col

87 p stamps are for air mail letters up to 20 grams to Europe including the Irish Republic . Post cards world wide outside the UK are also 87p ( airmail ) . !st and 2nd class ONLY applies to postage within the UK . To send a letter within the UK costs 60p first class and 50pence second class for up to 100 grams . 2nd class is cheaper . !st class will usually get to its destination the next working day but not guearanteed ,2nd class will take 3 to 4 days .With regard to your last point 2 first class

stamps cover up to £1.20 ( 2 x 60 p ) so will be more than sufficient for a letter to Germany ( as would 2 second class stamps ( 2 x 50p ) .

• David

I think you are confused between prices for sending items abroad and sending items inside the UK. The 60p first class stamp would not have sent the item to Germany , only to a UK address. To Germany first class would have been more than 87p

• Maxi

Because 1st class takes priority..so 1st gets there quicker, which in reality is not always the case as I have posted 1tst and 2nd class in the same mailbox going to addresses within a mile of each other and they arrived at the same time...............

As long as you have the price it costs or more in stamps on the letter then yes you can post using x2 first class stamps............

You would need different stamps to send outside the uk

1st class is more expensive because it is faster

Don't know where you got your information from but 1st and 2nd class is for internal uk post only

if you go here you can find out the exact price of sending your letter.

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

Go to the post office and they will put the correct stamp on your letter for you.

• ?

The 87p is 2nd class postage for abroad, it is cheaper than that to send 2nd class in UK.

Just take your letter to any post ofice. They will weigh it for you and sell you the correct stamps.

• John

First and second post is within the UK the price for overseas mail is nothing

to do with internal mail