Is it a bad idea to start a new story without revising the last finished one?

I've recently finished a story and finished revising it, then a few days later started another one, which I finished a few weeks or a month ago and I still haven't finished editing it. I want to start a new story now, at least plotting (but I know once I finish plotting, I'll start writing). Is it a bad idea to do so when I still haven't revised the last one? Is it be better to wait till the last one's revision is done, so that I would be starting the next one with a fresh clear mind?

Favorite Answer

It's not bad. :) Sometimes, people get a new idea that's so strong, you need to put it down before you forget the emotions and plot of what you've just thought up. Also, it's good to take a step back before editing something you've written. Starting to work on something new can be just the thing that will let you take a fresh look at your old work later on. :) Good luck

I think it's actually a good idea. When I write a story, I put it away for about a month or so and start writing a new one. After the month has passed, I get it out and start editing it so I can look at it with fresh eyes. I find it is easier to spot problems in my stories this way.

• ?

It only matters if the last story is connected somehow to the new story. If they are completely different stories which have nothing to do with each other, then it wouldn't matter if you place one on hold while tending to another. You don't want to be writing a story that might refer to something in an earlier story only to later have edited that something out of that earlier story in a revision.

• Ranger

I have a closet (metaphorically) full of un revised stories. I never get back to them, but I hate loosing the zeal of putting a new story down on paper while the thoughts are fresh.

Source(s): rc

No, it's not bad. I work on several stories at the same time. Sometimes it's good to get a fresh state of mind from working back and forth on two.

Source(s): Me. Writer.

Definitely not. Most writers have more than one story on the go at any one time, and sometimes writing a new one can help give a fresh perspective on the old one. So go for it :-)

Source(s): Writer, several years' experience