Do you engage in the democratic process?

Or do you just sit around and bi t ch about it on the internet all day? Do you vote? Do you write your local, state, and Congressional representatives, asking them to vote a certain way on an issue? Do you ever set up meetings with them in person? Did you even know you can do that? Last time I was in DC,... show more Or do you just sit around and bi t ch about it on the internet all day?

Do you vote?

Do you write your local, state, and Congressional representatives, asking them to vote a certain way on an issue?

Do you ever set up meetings with them in person? Did you even know you can do that? Last time I was in DC, I scheduled a meeting with my representative in the House to talk about issues that are important to me.

Don't you understand how EXTRAORDINARY it is that we can do that?

I was speaking to a friend of mine from Kenya about the elections that are about to take place in her country and was telling her about all the ways we can engage in the democratic process. She looked shocked and said "that's amazing. There's no way any officials would listen to you in Kenya."

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a problem with some of the things our elected officials do (God knows I do), but do you complain about it or do you actually ENGAGE? Do you appreciate how good we have it here??
Update: @Mercer - I heard an interview with a state official the other day who says that if he gets only SIX emails/phone calls/tweets about an issue, he will change the way he votes, because he assumes there are at least 1000 people not calling him. They do listen, and if you ever write them you will get a response... show more @Mercer - I heard an interview with a state official the other day who says that if he gets only SIX emails/phone calls/tweets about an issue, he will change the way he votes, because he assumes there are at least 1000 people not calling him. They do listen, and if you ever write them you will get a response (usually a form letter, but a response nonetheless).