RJ asked in SportsFootball (American) · 7 years ago

Will Alex Smith fit in Andy Reid's system?

I don't know right now, I have a feeling that it will fail.

Favorite Answer

Well, if Andy Reid felt he wouldn't fit then I guess the Chiefs wouldn't have made the trade for him.... Let's see how it pans out......

A west coast offensive, what Andy Reid runs, is an offense that looks to set up the run game by passing first. In the passing game, the quarterback is asked to make quick and accurate throws to let his receivers do the work. This offense values accuracy well over arm strength. Alex Smith has shown flashes of accuracy throughout his career, but it is still quite questionable. Andy Reid is also know to develop quarter backs yet I still do not see Alex Smith fitting into his system.

• D

Alex is a very good fit into Reid's system, and has everything that Reid looks for in a QB. The improvements that Smith made under Harbaugh, he should continue with Reid, who is an excellent QB mentor. Smith should hopefully synch well with Dwayne Bowe, who is a better receiver than any that Smith has gotten to work with in San Francisco.

• Cu Tie

It depends on his work ethic during every offseason. If Alex Smith works hard and performs very well in practice every day, he will greatly improve his chances of becoming a successful, top notch NFL quarterback in Andy Reid's system, for the Kansas City Chiefs, in the future.

He would fit into a general west coast system very well. Too bad Reid only really runs a west coast offense in name. True, he uses the pass to set up the run but he like to use deep routes with speed recievers a lot more than the standard WCO employs. I think Reid can adapt his system to fit Smith's skill set so that doesn't bother me. What does bother me about Smith is that he takes a ton of sacks because he refuses to throw the ball away, tends to abandon the play and immediately dump the ball off to a rb if his first read isn't there, he is worse on 3rd down than Matt Cassel was (42.5 QBR to 33.1), he is worse in the red zone than Matt Cassel was (41.2 QBR to 38.2) and he is worse on passes traveling 11+ yards than Matt Cassel was (44.9 QBR to 36.7). The other problem I see is that Smith's game and Reid's offense are heavy in high percentage timing routes - nothing unusual for a WCO there - but the Chiefs recievers are terrible at getting seperation. Teams played a ton of press coverage against us last year beacuse our recievers could not break it and that spells doom for all those timing routes.

I think Reid's plan is to have a quarterback who isn't going to throw interceptions. Then if they draft a tackle like Joekel or Fischer, they have a pretty solid offensive team. Not world beaters, but capable and the next few years they build the defense in the draft. It's goingto be a project regardless, they lost the most games in football.

Maybe, But he would do well in Minnesota. Same type of offense with AD...