When painting old rusty metal do you have to sand it down to bare metal?

I am working on my truck and I have to repaint the core support. What I'm using is an electric drill and a wire wheel. What I want to know is do I have to sand all of the old paint under the rust down to bare metal because it takes quite a long time?

What else could I use for sanding because a wire wheel is so big and hard to fit in smaller areas

Favorite Answer

yes you have to get the old paint and rust off or the new paint won,t hold ! sand it clean to the bare metal, use primer then paint it !

• There's products on the market such as Por15 where no sanding is needed, in fact it needs the rust to cause the chemical reaction and do its job, might not look pretty but it wont ever rust again,

Buy a Sand Blaster

thats in simple terms flat black paint. they do it all of the time at West Coast Customs on HD Theater (stumble on channel). it works for some motor vehicle designs yet i think of this is a foul determination for that monte carlo interior the %. I truthfully have a 86 Buick GN and the gloss black looks lots greater proper than the flat paint. yet, to each their very own. reliable success with although your undertaking is.

If you dont it will rust back through in a year or less and you wasted ur time and will have to do it all over again.

• Pete M

Yes.