What do you think about assisted suicide?

I personally think it's okay, it's a basic human right, isn't it, to choose whether you live or die. But what are your opinions on it?

(Don't worry, I'm not planning on killing anyone)

If someone needs help, like if they're paralyzed from the neck down or have a terminal illness and want to die with dignity, do you think that's okay? I'm an Atheist but if you have religious viewpoints, feel free to say those too :)

Best Answer

I agree. I think that we all should be able to choose how and when we die. We choose how we live our lives and death is just another phase of life. It should be a carefully controlled and monitered process though, with many options given for the patient to back out. And it should only be used when the patient is able to advocate for themselves and when they are suffering from a terminal illness. There are many ethical pitfalls, like whether life is sacred or whether any of us have the right to end a life. And whether or not it constitutes murder. There are religious arguments for and against, just like there are 'atheistic' people who are for and against. Contrary to the other answerer, not all atheists under-value life. I was severely suicidal for a period of time, and I would have loved to be able to have assisted suicide. I think the point is though, that it is not available for people in that position, who are not in their right mind. I read that a person has to ask their doctor on several seperate occasions a certain length of time appart, and that the prescription for the barbituates has to be signed off by two doctors. There is also required councelling and psychological assessment. I think if I were terminally ill I would like the choice to end my life with dignity rather than suffer constant pain and loss of faculty. I know that the pro-lifers disagree, but I think no-one is entitled to make life and death descisions for anyone else.

It depends on the situation. If someone is genuinely depressed, then under no circumstances would I help them commit suicide.

But if someone is dying anyway (due to illness etc) or are paralysed from the neck down and seriously can't cope then I think I would maybe think that was ok

How is it a human right if you didn't choose to live in the first place? Someone else took the decision of giving birth to you, so it wasn't your choice at all...

My personal opinion is strongly bonded with religion, but if you are an atheist then you don't deal with this kind of problem because probably life isn't that precious for you or whoever. Among all the creatures on this Earth, human is the only one who can improve his life, make choices and take decisions like whether he wants to live or not. And it is ridiculously selfish to choose not to live.

I could go on and on forever but I don't have the time to do this. Hope I enlightened you.

If they are terminal it's fine. They are very sick. They don't want yo suffer.

Suicide is a noise thing for man.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.