Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 years ago

Are there STOL kits manufactured for Piper Cubs ?

Was flying with a friend today and his plane's high altitude short field performance sucks. Scared the bejeezuz out of me.

#

#

#

@ Aurora - if you don't know, please don't answer --- thank you. Now remove your answer YAHOO does !!!!

#

#

#

#

#

#

@ Aurora - if you don't know, please don't answer --- thank you. Now remove your answer BEFORE YAHOO does !!!!

#

#

#

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

A standard J-3 Cub really doesn't need a STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) mod. They have excellent short field capabilities when operated within the confines of their original design. The problem is that the average adult human being is about 40 pounds heavier than they were when the Cub was first designed in the 1930's. With a useful load of only 455 lbs (Including fuel), your average J-3 Cub is pushing or even exceeding its maximum weight limit almost every time it flies.

What it really needs is more power, and that's why Piper developed the PA-18 "Super Cub." With 150, 160 and even 180 horsepower pulling the airplane, the STOL and high altitude characteristics are much improved over the original Cub.

Considering that the current world record for a fixed wing aircraft, shortest take-off run, is held by a 180hp Cub, at just over 19 feet, it is probably not required.

It is hard to comment on what can be done to improve the performance of your friends aircraft without knowing the model of aircraft, the altitude, the temperature, the available horsepower, the all up weight and all the other factors affecting the take-off.

In general terms though, a PA18 Cub has more than sufficient STOL performance as it comes.

I would venture to suggest that if you were somewhere that it didn't have satisfactory performance, then, as would be the situation in any other aircraft, you had taken it somewhere that it did not ought to go. That is not the fault of the aircraft!

Source(s): Retired Airline Captain

STODDARDS Aircraft Parts Center Piper PA-18 Super Cub MICRO Vortex Generator Kit.

That's the only thing I could find that would improve on the STOL capabilities of a Cub.

I do not know any STOL kit for Piper J3C Cubs, or Piper Cub L-4 -

Originally they had a 65 hp engine -

To get better performance, some got STC for 75 and 85 hp engine -

The best performing - is to get a Piper Super Cub L-18 (90 hp engine) -

Or like mine, I have two Super Cub L-21B - with 150 hp engine -

I do glider and banner towing with my airplanes -

They takeoff short, using 15 flaps...! - Ceiling 15,000 ft (cold up there) -

.

Source(s): Operator and pilot L-21 Super Cub -

J3 Cub Performance

difficult aspect. try searching on google and yahoo. that will help!