Alice in Wonderland Baby shower Theme?

My daughter is having a baby shower and her theme is “Alice in Wonderland!” I think this an inappropriate baby shower theme! Not only that, she is 26 years old! Please help me talk her down from this theme! She is very argumentative and I would like to win this one! I think she should have a normal theme with pastel colors and baby shower décor!

• Lisa
    Best Answer

Well, tell her you'll throw her one that is normal but not one that is Alice in Wonderland and that she could get someone else to host the shower if she is stuck on Alice in Wonderland. Chances are she has at least one or two female friends willing to throw her a shower with what she wants.

Just in case you change your mind, here are some ideas:

I would draw inspiration from both the cartoon Alice in Wonderland and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

How many people are going to be there? If there's going to be about 20 or under, you could consider seeing if you could pick up mix-matched tea seat for the tables. Anything more and it'll probably be too expensive. Even the cartoon version would be good in this instance too to show you how different everything was. Otherwise, maybe get different pieces of China but offer mix-matched plastic cups with plastic plates. Sometimes people have really large baby showers so try to plan accordingly.

Include a stuffed mouse in a tea pot. In the cartoon version, he sang a song. (I can't remember if he was included in the live-action movie). If you have a large brown stuffed rabbit, have him sitting in one of the chairs. Have a top hat for the mad hatter sitting as a centerpiece in the middle of the table. Include a Cheshire cat by the presents table? Have a caterpillar near the guest book or guest log with a sign that says "Whooo are you?" Include a large pocket watch for the white rabbit?

For food go simple tea party fare. I would aim for croissant sandwiches as they are easy to make yourself with like chicken salad, egg salad, and thinly sliced ham or turkey with butter as options. I would also offer pasta salad, regular tossed salad, pinwheels, scones, lemon squares, tea biscuits/cookies, cookies that say "eat me," and have mushrooms sitting out in two bowels more as a joke (include a sign that says something like eat this to grow taller, eat this one to grow smaller). I would offer hot water and tea bags, lemonade, punch, pop, and water bottles for drinks. While loose leaf tea would be great, it would be harder to make properly in bulk for people to drink.

If it is a large party, you could have a mock Mad Hatter Tea Party set up in the front and have people use the mix-matched plastic plates and cups for the guests. That way you don't have to try 50 pieces of China that you wouldn't mind getting broken/damaged. The dollar stores sell different color plastic plates for a dollar.

For favors, consider using the loose leaf tea that I included in the sources. You make it yourself. Try it before giving it out though. You could also get a pack of cards for favors too because of the Queen of Hearts.

Alice And Wonderland Baby Shower

• Taylor

Well, I think this theme is somewhat exaggerated because surely, to manage the bizarre look, it will ends up looking more like a birthday party than a baby shower. I don't think it inappropriate, although; what is inappropriate is your daughter be throwing her own baby shower. Totally tacky! (at least it sounds how if she's doing it).

If it's someone else who is throwing, the expectant woman has a say on the theme, only a say, because it's of the host the final choice in whether it's a viable theme, after all, the party must be within reach of the host's time and budget and an Alice in Wonderland baby shower will easily be more time consuming, minimalist and expensive than a common theme like teddy bears.

Just tell her that a theme more baby related and with softer colors is easier and less costly, and she can't cry like a brat to the host spend more money than she can afford.

Edit: Oh, if she still whine, Alice has a tea party so suggest an easygoing tea party instead.

I agree with Tai. Some women think the world revolves around them just because they're pregnant. As an Alice fan, a party with this theme poorly planned and without the surreal look is ridiculous. Or you spend a very good amount of money, or choose a more affordable theme. Inexpensive isn't necessarily the same as "cheap", The Perfectionist.

The idea of a more delicate and calmer tea party suggested by Tay is a much better choice.

She's being a little too demanding, sorry if i'm being harsh. If she don't know a baby shower is a gift. Imagine she receiving a gift and then complains because isn't the item she wants, isn't the color she likes, isn't the brand she likes, isn't too expensive as she wants. Tai said it right: someone is throwing her a party and the host is who plan it in the most convenient way.

She needs to relax, let the host do the work, wait for the day of the party and be grateful.

But a tea party baby shower is a great idea. You can use little signs like "eat me", "drink me" resembling Alice.

Seeing as how it's her shower and her baby why shouldnt she get the choice?

I don't see how it's a bad choice. Things like bunnies, big flowers and brightly colored accessories come to mind among teapots and little cakes.

Quite cute!

Source(s): I'm assuming you had your showers. Let her have hers.

It's not yours, let her be her. It's better than my sisters upcoming bob marley/rasta themed baby shower... Be thankful for that.

Either don't host it or let the daughter pick her theme! Wow, I would be ashamed to try and tell my kids that they should have a party my way.

Normal = Cheaper

Sounds like someone doesn't want to shell out the money or time.