? asked in SportsBasketball · 7 years ago

How will the Spurs manage without Tony Parker?

With Tony Parker suffering a sprained ankle in last nights game against the Sacramento Kings to which he will "be out for awhile" according to Pop. How will the next couple of games play out for the spurs?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Randy
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Parker being injured is actually better for the Spurs in a way. They have a slew of home games coming up and as great as Parker has played the Spurs have not had a healthy twelve man unit all year long.

Parker being out should allow for the Spurs to establish who the 'real' back up PG. And they have three young and talented players to choose from.

1) Mills - an unconscious shooter who put up a very good showing at the olympics. The big question for him is can he do enough to initiate the offense as a PG or is he just a SG trapped in a PG's body.

2) De Colo - Nando is my personal favorite. He has very good to elite court vision. His biggest problem is he is almost unselfish to fault. He like other Spur's frenchman not named Parker(Diaw) needs to pass up less easy opportunities in favor of the extra pass. The extra pass is great except for when you have the best shot.

3) Joseph - Cory has been toiling away in the D-League for the last couple years. Putting up good numbers and learning how to run the Spurs offense as the lead guard for Austin. He might have the most upside of the three because of his athleticism and his stroke.

Overall, the Spurs will be fine, it may be a bad ankle sprain but there is no way he's not back before the end of March. I think a good guess would be somewhere about 10 games without him.

Worst case scenario in those games would still be about 6-4, where before they might have had a best case of 9-1.

• Login to reply the answers
  • EN
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Recently Gregg Popovich has been weighing whether Patty Mills or Nando De Colo is a better second PG, and this test will certainly be extended.

At the same time, Spurs did even play a couple of games without their trio prior All-Star break and won, so the rest in the roster should be prepared to overcome Parker's absence.

Anyway, Spurs remain very deep in guard rotation - and we have yet to come across the seldom-used Canadian Cory Joseph. Unless it is a season-ending injury for TP9, it is not much of an issue at the end of the day.

• 7 years ago

Not really going to derail the spurs in anyway. However, The Spurs will not be that much a threat against other elite teams. Parker gives the Spurs a lift.

Source(s): SYDNEY
  • 7 years ago

I think they will be fine. Manu and Tim Duncan can take a little bit more minutes to help out and Gary Neal can run the offense. THe SPurs have a offense based on ball movement. They will be fine. Its their defense I worry about without Parker. Opposing PGs will have a much easier time on both sides of the ball.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

The Spurs should still win most of their games. They can still beat the best teams in the NBA if they all just play their roles. They are no where as near dangerous as they are with Parker but their back up guards aren't that bad and especially Ginobili... who IMO is the best facilitating SG in the NBA. Easily.

• abrar
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

sure, they might and that i think of they'll make the playoff, yet without Ginobili, the Spurs does not have that offensive spark anymore. So i do no longer see them making the authentic 4 seed with Ginobili lacking a month of the season, it is devastating in the West, it is why Kobe is opting no longer that have surgical operation.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Will be difficult. But they can still definitely win games :)

• 7 years ago

Who cares. The spurs suck and so do you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.