Why do people say race doesn't matter?

I was talking to an old navy (not the store, the military navy that is) and he was telling me it doesn't matter what race you are. But always white people. And to be honest its only a few of them who think think this. But its only white people that think race does not matter. That people will not judge you by race. Court decisions aren't made based on race. When prosecutors, lawyers come right out and say "we felt the jury would have a hard time convicting her because she was white female and a mother". I'm not saying i think about this a lot. But why do they go out there way to say it doesn't?

jay go tell your local prosecutor that race doesn't matter, and see if they don't disagree with you. Race matters just as much as anything else. But its nothing wrong with saying race matters. its the way of life.

Qwerty that is awesome

bby, financial aid is not by race. They go by taxes and your school. Thats it. I got a lot of financial aid because i didn't make but 10,000 dollars while in college. My girlfriend and my ex girlfriend both complain about their jobs. Id be fine to make 15 dollars an hour. I can pay all my bills and if i saved id have enough money left over for fun.

• Liz
    Favorite Answer

I usually see white people saying this. When you are the top of the social ladder in society race doesn't matter. When you don't have to be worried about being followed around the store race doesn't matter. When you're not sentenced for something like killing your daughter race doesn't matter. I feel like people will always say this because they don't know what it's like to be in another persons shoe.

It annoys me when people think that everything is peaches and cream and racism doesn't exist. Racism never went away. People have just gotten better at hiding it. People date based on race. People will hire you sometimes based on race. People will even pick friends based on race. The thing that annoys me is when people sugar coat it. I hear people saying "well black people have scholarships, and black guys have bigger penises so I don't see why they're always complaining". Yeah and does things will end the injustice in society.

There's a white engineering teacher that works at my school and he will use profanity just to describe the color of a microwave, and then he's loud about every damn thing. There's a white woman teacher at my school who does the same thing. Now someone has got to be on some drugs if they believe that a black person could do that and not get bothered about it.

Source(s): I keep telling people that if George Zimmerman was black and trayvon Martin was white that case would have been a wrap. Racism definitely exist people just don't want to admit it.

For some people, I really don't think that it does matter! Some people are blind to it and treat everyone based on character. Honestly, I think this is a really broad topic and there are different circumstances within it. For instance, the whole thing about them saying that they won't convict her because she's white and a mother, that's only true if the jury is white! If a black man is up there, and the jury is mostly black, they will be less likely to find that person guilty as well! There is LOADS of psychological research behind this!

I think some black people tend to think that white people feel they are righteous and entitled. But there are also many white people who say that black people think they are entitled. When looking at the distribution of welfare, being a minority just increased your chances of getting it by a large percent. I have seen this with my own eyes. My ex boyfriend of three years was puerto rican, is dad was very hard working and made over 100K salary. My exes brother got a five thousand dollar check in financial aid that he didn't even need! He bought all this crap from the school bookstore, offered to buy me something, and had left over money to give his mom 1,000 dollars! His mom also gets financial aid even though her husband is making an 100K salary because she is puerto rican and her youngest daughter had a baby at 17 that she was able to claim. I applied for financial aid and couldn't get it! I couldn't even afford a computer I needed to write my notes on in class because I could only take out a minimal amount in a loan which I had to use to pay for my classes! His dad alone made almost three times the amount of money my parents make together! There were no other things that differentiated us except race, that's how I know they got it because they are minorities!

Also, white people tend to think that black people are able to get away with things by playing the race card. Not even half of the black people I've known have ever done this as long as I've known them, but for some people it is still seen as an excuse to not take full accountability for their actions. If they complain about not being treated equally then why do these same people play this card as a way to play the victim and to differentiate themselves?

I'm not blind to the fact that this country's traditions and ways of thinking tend to be more centered around the ideologies of European whites. If there was anyone to blame for that, I don't know who it would be. The fact is, this country was made to be a country because of white Europeans who came here! The traditions and ways of thinking formulated and have been formulating this way for 200 years now and I don't think that will change very easily! The things some black people feel about white people may be true to an extent as well! Cultures have their differences and right now, as America is becoming more ethnically diverse, I think people will want to learn about other cultures and learn to accept it! There are some people who are slow to the punch on both sides. Some black people are taught by their parents not to like whites and vice versa! My point is that people are becoming more tolerant of other people! There are blacks and whites who want to befriend each other because we are human beings and we are in a million ways more alike than different! Really, to tie everything together, some people may not think race matters because they weren't raised to believe that it does or even in some cases, they may have been raised to believe it and found out different from their own experiences. It would make a world of difference if EVERYBODY treated EVERYBODY based on their character. If they were to say anything bad about anybody, it would be because they actually know them and it wouldn't be based on stereotypes or be ill-informed accusations! Race does not have to matter if you truly want to see people for WHO they are!

Race will always matter, it's a social construct that is conditioned

in our minds from birth. From the top of society to the bottom, race

will always be an issue. Tell African Americans who were victims of

Hurricane Katrina that 'race doesn't matter' when America sends Aid

to countries all over the world in tragedies within 24 - 48 Hours yet it

took 5 days for anyone to come to the aid of the majority African American

Victims of Hurricane Katrina, dead bodies were floating through streets,

people were rotting in their own excrement and BEGGING for help..but nothing.

No one can ever tell me 'race doesn't matter'. Just because you're Friends with

someone of a different race to you doesn't mean 'race doesn't matter', because

the worst cases of racism is the racism YOU CAN'T SEE. i.e institutionalized

racism.

because in the long run it doesn't. black folks and white folks are all in the same boat and neither has the option to get off. if one sinks the other will quickly follow. sure you can use race to get yourself some perks that the other side doesn't have but i've noticed that goes both way. it can be outta balance but considering that black folks started off as indentured people it's hardly shocking. i find it as a mild bit of irony that it's only the black and white folks say "woe is me." when it's them in the wringer. i have never seen anyone ANYONE say "ya know they might have a point." at least not without a platoon of idiots tryin' to chase 'im off callin' 'im a race traitor or sell out.

Because when race matters it means the unstated portion of that is: People are judging you by race and the decisions and judgements they make about people are somewhat influenced by the race of the people involved.

They don't want to admit they are the source of this social imbalance.

• TQOP

If they think God's thoughts then they know race doesn't matter.

Source(s): “God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.”—Acts 10:34, 35

...I guess blacks would be the ones to say if race matters, but I know MANY around me that would treat blacks NO differently than anyone else...

Because they don't want to see themselves as "privileged" despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. They like to believe that their good fortune comes from them being smarter, more righteous. No one likes being told they beat the game on "very easy" when they thought it was actually on "hard."

because they don't want to sound racist