Do you think that a pipeline should be built?

I am not for Obama, but he is right with not wanting a pipeline. Do you remember when they wanted the Alaskan pipeline? They told us that we would never have to depend upon foreign oil again, and we are right back where we started. In addition, we've breaks in the pipeline and oil spills devastating the environment.

Why should we fall for this BS about not having to depend upon foreign oil twice? Isn't this a set up to destroying the environment wherever the pipeline is put when another "accident" happens? And what about terrorism with relation to the pipeline?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Katz22
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, I am against the pipeline because it will only enrich the already rich oil companies with the potential of an oil spill just a devastating as any ocean oil spill. I think we need to be more "progressive" and get over our oil fixation and invest in making more fuel efficient vehicles, better and cheaper electric cars, develop smart grids, use more wind and solar energy sources. I still believe in American innovation.

Source(s): self
  • 7 years ago

If there is demand for the pipeline and it can be built and maintained entirely without taxpayer funding, sure. The oil market is global. If we don't take the oil, someone else will and it will lower the global price anyway. It is probably impossible to build and maintain such a system which is entirely without spills.

The environment is not "destroyed" by spills anyway. Before we began pulling oil out of the ground, it was released naturally into the environment. Sure, a big spill makes for a huge mess and it's temporarily destructive, but nature recovers. We humans are incapable of permanently rendering even a small area lifeless. If you actually think any oil company WANTS to damage the environment, you're crazy. A damaged environment is a corporate liability, not an asset.

Terrorists will attack what soft targets they can. That is the nature of their tactics. While dramatic, an attack on an oil pipeline would result in a shutdown, cleanup and repair of the damaged section. Since people don't live nearby usually, there would be few if any deaths and we would tap the strategic oil reserve to ensure supply if necessary during the repairs.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Only a complete moron would imagine we will "never have to rely on foreign oil".....derp....

Oil is a COMMODITY....we do not use (much) of the oil that comes up out of holes in the ground inside the USA, we sell it on the global market...

The oil in Texas and Nebraska isn't even the kind we can refine in the USA!

Only the VERY ill-informed imagine that drilling more her would help Americans!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No It's an absolutely idiotic idea

The American people assume all of the risks , reap none of the rewards and make our future masters stronger

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

How anyone can argue this point is beyond my comprehension. You are right on.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, they should build the Keystone (if that *is* the one you refer to). And what's this "terrorist" BS you're whining about?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.