Landlord sold the house tells us to pay someone else. illegal?

My bf and I live in a 2 story unit. Our landlord and his family used to live under us. Our lease isn't up until June and they randomly up and left, moved somewhere. Without notifying a single person.

The "new owner" gave us a letter in the mail telling us to write the rent checks out to him and put it in the mail box. Never met him... never changed the lease. For all we know the lease contract is still under our first landlord.

Should we do something? I'm going to email this man and ask. But don't we need an updated contract??? Also for all I know this could be a random con man trying to take my money! Please help and thank you!

P.s. we live in Chicago, IL.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can call the Register of Deeds in your county to find out if this new person really owns the property.. There is nothing wrong if he does, you just pay him instead.. your lease is exactly the same, he just owns the lease now. You don't need an updated lease until June.

• LILL
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Call the old landlord to verify the new owner, or at least ask proof from the new landlord that he in fact now owns the property.

The old landlord was not required to inform you of the sale...but it would of been nice to do so.

IL law states that the old lease is still in effect with a new owner. No new lease needs to be signed.

• 7 years ago

You have a right to be suspicious, but don't have the right to live there and not pay. You can ask questions, but chances are that the new guy is the new owner. If he is the new owner, and you don't pay, you'll be in violation of the lease and the law. What are the chances that the old owner sells and just at that moment a criminal comes along and says he's the new owner? Did the new owners letter come to you by name? If so, he probably got the name from the old owner. Can you call the old owner on their cell phone?

• Flower
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Landlord is not oblilgated to tell you anything except where to send your rent payment. You are under the same lease conditions and terms until it expires in June. There is nothing more to it. You must send the rent to the new owner. No, you dont need anything else. Your current lease is valid. Ask the old landlord if this person is actually the new owner if you are afraid or check the county assessor's office to see if he is the owner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Send a letter in the mail verifying they are the new landlord

Just be polite and tell them there are alot of scams out there

New landlord must follow your old lease

• 7 years ago

Yes an updated lease is absolutely needed legally.

Continue to write your rental checks to the same landlord as before until this is done and clear. The former landlord can always sign those checks over to the new landlord.

Maybe the former landlord didn't own the property - might have just been a property manager?

• 7 years ago

It's pretty simple when you e-mail him tell him that you had no clue that the old owners had sold the place and were not aware that they was the new owner and for safety sake could they prove documentation to prove that there the new owners as you want to make sure that they are who they say they are. Although I do admit it's a little weird for someone to buy a place and not check it out first and for the old owners not informing you of of the transfer of ownership

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.