Japanese Citizenship?

If I were to Move to Japan would I have to loose my American and British citizenship

Favorite Answer

Japanese don't normally grant citizenship to anyone who has no japanese in them. If you are Asian with a Japanese American mother, maybe down the road you would be allowed to at least request Japanese citizenship.

You cannot collect citizenships as a hobby. Moving to Japan will also be very difficult to do as you would need literally millions in cash unless you were hired by a Japanese firm and already had a job. Living in Japan is very expensive. They do NOT speak English. You would need to assimilate fast.

You need to see what I'm talking about by going as a tourist and see what things cost and how difficult it would be for any non-japanese.

It is my guess that you are not an adult yet or else you would have done the research yourself instead of asking random people on YA.

How can you be an American and British citizen if you don't know the meaning of the word "loose?"

Loose is something not firmly attached. A loose bolt, or a loose wheel on a car. There is no such thing as a loose citizenship, as citizenship can not dangle or wiggle around.

In contrast, lose means lost. Not there anymore. Gone.

If you drive a car with loose lug nuts on one wheel, you eventually will lose that wheel and then the sh*t will hit the fan when you crash into another car.

If you move to Japan, you will not lose anything but the ability to quickly visit your friends and family that you left behind. You cannot become a Japanese citizen, but if you could, you'd have to formally renounce any and all other citizenships you hold as part of the process.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live in the charming old mission town San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Cat

If you want to become a Japanese citizen you would have to give up your other citizenship. However, with the proper permissions, you could live and work in Japan without being a citizen.

Yes, if you managed to reach a point where you were eligible you would have to renounce your American & British citizenship as Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship

Nope. If you move to other country it doesnt mean that you'll lose your citizenship.