Renounciation of US Citizenship (Taxes and Selective Service)?

I want to move out of the US when I turn 18 and renounce my citizenship shortly afterwards. I have a family member (non-US citizen) in another country who is willing to take me in. However, I am still confused about a few other things:

I have never had an actual job before in my life. Will I still owe taxes to the IRS or to my state (Texas)?

Will I still have to register with Selective Service even though I'm renouncing my citizenship shortly after arriving in the other country (just in case, I understand the ramifications of being stateless)?

I do not wish to hear comments about being unpatriotic. It's my decision to renounce my citizenship and I do not need any criticism from anyone about it.

Thank you for your time.

4 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Since you had no income, you owe no income tax. As for selective service, it's best to register, just to be safe. If and when you renounce your citizenship, the registration will automatically go away with the citizenship. Now, even if you move away, it's best to not renounce your citizenship immediately, since it may take you up to 10 years to gain citizenship of your new country. But that's up to you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago


    you can renounce your US citizenship only at the US embassy or consulate in your "other" country of citizenship, for obvious reasons. If you want to be 100% sure that you won't encounter any delays, apply for a "Certificate of Tax Compliance" from the IRS in time before you leave the United States for good.

    You have to register with Selective Service once you turn 18. If you leave shortly after your 18th birthday, this will not be an issue.

    You cannot become stateless as you cannot renounce your US citizenship unless you are a citizen of another country. If you are not a citizen of the "other" country and they want to get rid of you, they could still deport you to the United States and if you were not a US citizen anymore, the U.S. could not deport you to your country of citizenship as you would have no country of citizenship. Hence, you'd be stuck in the U.S. and that's exactly where the United States doesn't want you to be. So become a citizen of the "other" country first, then you can renounce your US citizenship.

    Important to know, once you have renounced your US citizenship, arguably the most desirable citizenship on the face of this planet, you will most likely not be allowed to ever set foot on US soil again in your lifetime. This process cannot be reversed, not even by divine intervention. So say goodbye to family and friends before you leave.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live in the charming old mission town San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    If you leave the US and renounce your citizenship, debts are not automatically forgiven. You have to pay what you owe to whoever you owe. Unless you earn income in Texas neither Texas nor the Federal Government (via the IRS) will look to collect tax from you. You will not have to register for selective service.

    Before renouncing anything make sure you have some place to go. Your relative may be willing but the laws of that country may prevent anything from actually happening.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • irle
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Your fiance could have notified Immigration every time he moved to a different handle. there's a card on the submit workplace to put in for a metamorphosis of handle, yet he additionally necessary to fill out the form on the Immigration workplace. in any different case he would not be interior the capture 22 concern he's in now. He could have the potential to sign in for selective provider earlier the charm date, and in the event that they're comprehend-how sufficient, he can clarify to them why he hadn't registered yet, and teach data of registration, and that they could permit him slide. it truthfully relies upon on how subsidized up your community USCIS workplace is. He may even sign in for the selective provider on line, and print out the data of registration. He won't get citizenship at his charm, yet they could opposite the denial. If no longer, he will could wait approximately 6 months to prepare back, and pay the cost back.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.