Is this a good introudcution for a compare/contrast on gun control or is it too long?

One of the most sensitive and heated debate in politics is about gun control. Gun control is the regulation of the selling, owning, and use of guns based upon the definition given by the Merriam- Webster dictionary. It all started with the ratification of the Second Amendment In 1791 that stated “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.” That has to be the most debated quote interpretational wise in the U.S government. In 1822 the case Bliss V. Commonwealth individual rights are bought into place by ruling that a man had the right to carry a concealed weapon by Commonwealth constitution “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state, shall not be questioned”. After the ruling the Supreme court ruled the law unconstitutional and void. In 156 in the case Dred Scott v. Sandform individual rights are brought into question again, but with slaves. The court ruled that slaves full rights of American Citizenship would include the right “to keep and carry arms wherever they went”. In 1934 The national Firearms Act was a result of a violent issue in the time. The Act was to put a tax excise on “gangster weapons”. In 1934 the Federal Firearms Act requires a licensed for gun dealers and said that guns could not be gave to people convicted of certain crimes. In 1968 with the assassination of John F. Kennedy brought upon stricter regulation for dealers and prohibited firearms access to convicted felons, drug users, and the mentally incompetent. In 1994 “Brandy aCT included waiting periods and background checks for handguns and banned rifles labeled as “ assault weapons”. In 2004 that Act expired and was not renewed. In the District V. Heller case the supreme court ruled that the Second Amendment extended the right to bear arms to individuals and marked handguns bans in Washington as unconstitutional. In 2010 the Supreme Court extended the District V. Heller decision to all states in the case of Mcdonald v. Chicago where the Supreme court also overturned a handgun law ban. The debate have quieted in the past years, but with a movie and mall shooting and the infamous school shooting in Colorado have roused the debate back in full- swing.

The debate is sweeping the country. Anti- gun control advocates and pro-gun control both debate over citizens’ rights and the Second Amendment. The contrasting sides take different stances on reducing crimes and suicide rated based on gun control. Both anti-gun and pro-gun advocates both argue over the types of guns that should be allowed including semi-automatic guns.

What do you guy think? Im in 8th grade by the way. I am fully aware of the grammar issues this is just kind of like an "overview"

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Though I agree that there are several grammatical problems, I need to know something about the format your teacher wants. Are you limited to two paragraphs? If so, I'd cut it down to no more than three or four court cases. If not, you seriously need to break that down into at least three paragraphs, I mean the long paragraph.

Hope that helps!

• emmer
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The dangerous guys pick unarmed victims!!. When seconds area calling 911 and asking the harmful man to attend is just not a potential alternative. Higher to have a gun and no longer need it than to wish it and now not have it!!! **Police do not preserve you from crime, they most often with ease evaluate the crime after it happens.**

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.