Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 7 years ago

zero plural question?

can someone give me links that tell me about zero plural. it was explain in a grammar book, only part of it is understand.

here is a copy of the text.

In some cases nouns have zero plural; in other words, they remain unchanged in the plural. These are, most notably, nouns referring to animals, maybe because we often see animals in both number and mass. We may eat/keep as a pet/be attacked by an individual animal, but we also make our living by breeding cattle or order salmon for a meal. Other cases include sheep, deer, cod, grouse and trout.

thanks for the help.

• Neil
    Favorite Answer

'Zero plural' means that a singular noun is the same as a plural noun.

1 sheep, 17 sheep.

1 aircraft, 52 aircraft.

We say 1 cow and 14 cows, or 1 house and 79 houses, but we say 1 moose and 84 moose. We don't, however, say 84 mooses or 17 sheeps or 52 aircrafts. That's because the singular (one) is the same as the plural (more than one).

• Erika

Zero Plural

I never heard that called "zero plural" before. Everybody else calls it a collective noun, or plural the same as the singular.

The term zero plural also refers to use of the plural form after the number zero, such as "We have no bananas." That is a custom in the English language; the same in Russian would be the genitive case "no of banana". Some languages use different cases for zero, one, two, three, and four counts, repeated for 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and every decade after that.

• kuhle

On account that the value of '0' is not a SINGLE wide variety; it's not '1' I 2nd jfcruzr it would [almost] make more experience for those who had been handiest able to possess 1 apple and in no way more than 1. Then whilst you lose it, that you could say, "I have no apple." but saying "no" or "zero" leaves it open to any quantity that you simply would have had previously.