Do Lutherans revere Martin Luther?

Because if they do, they should read all of his works, not just the ones that suit him, such as: "On Jews and Their Lies" published after the Small and Large Catechisms.

Adolf Hitler was very fond of Martin Luther's works... Luther hated Jews just as much if not more than Hitler did, so naturally Hitler admired the works of Martin Luther... go figure!

Update:

Christ is Life: No... I just think it's strange that you trust and revere the words of madmen who spent life killing, raping, crucifying, or torturing innocents

Update 2:

Do Lutherans, knowing how backwards Martin Luther was, believe that he is in Heaven?

Update 3:

tagboy: thanks for the quotes! It seems that believers don't seem to mind not knowing what sort of people started their religion in the first place... although, humans have always been complacent with their ignorance

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, we do not revere Luther. We do respect him and we do appreciate and value many of his writings, his works, his fight to try to change things within the Catholic church.

Do we know of his anti-Semitic rants? Of course we do. Do we also know that Luther was raised in the time of the Spanish Inquistion? Do we know that the Catholic church was methodically trying to squash the Jews and any other faith body other than Catholics? Yes, we know all of this, and we know that this impacted some of his beliefs. Just as our grandparents and greatgrands may have been raised with certain prejudices, it doesn't mean we agreed with them and carried on those same feelings. So, can we forgive Luther for his ravings and rantings as an old man? Yes. And, as a baptized child of God, faithful to God to the end, God also forgave those rantings just as He forgives us all the stupid stuff we do and say.

His writings at the end of his life do not negate all that he did during his time in this world. His writings done by himself or with other theologians are all scripturally sound and his fight for change was a valid fight.

Finally... we do love, honor, revere and worship the person who started our religion... Christ, who was, is, and will always be perfect. Luther, as the father of our denomination, we love and honor as a wise, yet imperfect man.

Source(s): LCMS Lutheran
  • 5 years ago

Luther still is a beloved pastor if that is what you mean .. Luther was not racist his treatise ON (the Jews and there Lies) vindicates him of that as he mocked those Jews his treatise was dealing with -- for THINKING they were better than every one else .. Luther PROVED to them in that treatsie no race of people is better than any other one.. Luther however was anti- sematic in this following way ..

he believed no one comes to God the Father except through Jesus ..

he wanted Jews to believe in Jesus as there only savior from sin .

I am also anti Semitic in the same way // NO JESUS- NO God ---Know Jesus know God Martin Luther's famous quote, so aptly put it

I am a member of the Wisconsin Lutheran synod.

perhaps LC -MS members should stop going by what is popular to say and deal with the racism that Luther saw in those Jews that his treatise was dealing with...

Luther BELIEVED ALL RACISM WAS WRONG and that treatise proves that when read completely ..

• tagboy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I would say most have never even brother to find out who he is like many people of any religion they just follow the leader. He just didn't lose his mind he was a nut. These are his quotes

Martin Luther, German leader of the Protestant Revolution, founder of Lutheranism, Protestant theologian, was behind much of Protestant theology. An examination of some of his quotes makes it quite obvious that we are not looking at a rational man. Modern Protestants would do well to learn something about the heritage of their present theology.

God does not work salvation for fictitious sinners. Be a sinner and sin vigorously.... Do not for a moment imagine that this life is the abiding place of justice; sin must be committed.

Sin cannot tear you away from him [Christ], even though you commit adultery a hundred times a day and commit as many murders.

As to the common people, ... one has to be hard with them and see that they do their work and that under the threat of the sword and the law they comply with the observance of piety, just as you chain up wild beasts.

Source(s): Let the Lutherans study their own leader. I studied many religions that is why I no longer follow their logic. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B Anthony.
  • Feivel
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Hitler had German schoolkids read luther's anti-Jewish hate filled crap and used luther's words to promote his anti-Semitism. I don't know how anyone could revere or hold that man in any esteem at all.

This "good man" suggested that Jewish homes and Synagogues be burned and the ashes buried. That no Jew be granted safe passage. That Jews be "relieved" of all of their possessions etc etc. He advocated Jews be killed.

So, a church based on the teachings of a man who seems not only to be advocating, arson, robbery and murder but whose rantings seem to indicate by some psychologists that he was psychotic.

The fact that he was also ranting about the obvious and excessive abuses of the catholic church, does not mean the man was good, just or even sane.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Not really. I know plenty of Lutherans, and they don't have all these big things about Luther. Like most Protestants, Lutherans have Jesus as their top priority.

• 7 years ago

No. I was raised in the Lutheran church and Martin Luther was barely mentioned.

• 7 years ago

Not really. I was a Lutheran for 19 years, and my country is majority Lutheran.

I didn't even know what kind of hateful stuff he had written. You don't exactly hear him quoted often in Lutheran churches.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yep, Martin Luther was a raving anti-Semitic. But most Germans have been historically. It is a cultural issue they have problems with.

• 7 years ago

January 20 I think.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Not everything about him. Luther's early writings were positively disposed towards the Jews. His later rants at the end of his life are of course offensive. Even Luther's closest associates at the time such as Philip Melanchthon, did not approve of Luther's rant against the Jews. Other than the Smalcald Articles, and the Small and Large Catechism Luther's writings are not normative for the Lutheran Church. Luther is neither a "prophet" nor the "leader" of Lutherans. Lutheran theologians are well aware of Luther's issues and do in fact condemn them unlike the followers of other religious figures who have made equally offensive remarks and tend to try to justify them. I know of no Lutheran who justifies Luther's statements regarding the Jews. It needs to be pointed out that while the Nazis appropriated Luther's offensive writings to suit their political agenda, slandering all German Lutherans is without foundation in historical truth. The "confessing Church," which opposed Hitler was made up of Lutheran clergy, and Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a famous Lutheran clergyman who was implicated in the plot to kill Hitler. He was executed by the Nazis. Since one could say the same thing about many religious leaders, why just focus on Martin Luther and Lutherans? One could look at the sayings of the prophet Muhammad as recorded in the Quran and hadith, and find there things of equal offense. His actions and words are far more normative for Muslims than Luther's are for Lutherans. Muslims are generally not willing to criticize the prophet, his words or his actions, whereas Lutherans are quite willing to say Luther could be a jerk.

Sahih Muslim: Book 041, Number 6985. Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: -The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews

Koran 5: 82 Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find those who say: "We are Christians:" because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world and they are not arrogant.

Koran 5:41. O Messenger! let not those grieve thee, who race each other into unbelief: (whether it be) among those who say "We believe" with their lips but whose hearts have no faith; or it be among the Jews,- men who will listen to any lie,- will listen even to others who have never so much as come to thee...

Koran 2:63-66. And remember We took your covenant and We raised above you (The towering height) of Mount (Sinai) : (Saying): "Hold firmly to what We have given you and bring (ever) to remembrance what is therein: Perchance ye may fear Allah." But ye turned back thereafter: Had it not been for the Grace and Mercy of Allah to you, ye had surely been among the lost. And well ye knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath: We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised and rejected." So We made it an example to their own time and to their posterity, and a lesson to those who fear Allah.

The massacre of the Banu Qurazah Jewish tribe.

According to Ibn Ishaq:

Then they surrendered, and the apostle confined them in Medina in the quarter of d. al-Harith, a woman of B. al-Najjar. Then the apostle went out to the market of Medina (which is still its market today) and dug trenches in it. Then he sent for them and struck off their heads in those trenches as they were brought out to him in batches. Among them was the enemy of Allah Huyayy b. Akhtab and Ka`b b. Asad their chief. There were 600 or 700 in all, though some put the figure as high as 800 or 900. As they were being taken out in batches to the apostle they asked Ka`b what he thought would be done with them. He replied, 'Will you never understand? Don't you see that the summoner never stops and those who are taken away do not return? By Allah it is death!' This went on until the apostle made an end of them. Huyayy was brought out wearing a flowered robe in which he had made holes about the size of the finger-tips in every part so that it should not be taken from him as spoil, with his hands bound to his neck by a rope. When he saw the apostle he said, 'By God, I do not blame myself for opposing you, but he who forsakes God will be forsaken.' Then he went to the men and said, 'God's command is right. A book and a decree, and massacre have been written against the Sons of Israel.' Then he sat down and his head was struck off.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.