Labrador ear infection and link to diet?

I have taken my black 18 m0nth labrador to the vet as he has suspected ear infection( smelly ear, discharge, shaking head),She said it was likely that the dogs love of waterr was the likely cause and that frequent reoccurences would result in a change of lifestyle for the dog,ie keep out of water. The know all in... show more I have taken my black 18 m0nth labrador to the vet as he has suspected ear infection( smelly ear, discharge, shaking head),She said it was likely that the dogs love of waterr was the likely cause and that frequent reoccurences would result in a change of lifestyle for the dog,ie keep out of water.
The know all in my local pet shop dismisses all of this and puts it down to the dogs diet and says that the addition of wheat and cereal in his dry food is the cause, is he right.
Please advise as i need this matter clearing up as it is nigh on impossible to administer the ear drops by myself to the dog thus prolonging both mine and the dogs misery.