What do you think happens when we die?

Dr. Sam Parnia writes in his book, "Erasing Death," that death is reversible. That a person can now be resuscitated long after they previously would have been considered dead. So what does the community think?

Video: http://screen.yahoo.com/author-death-reversible-15...

• fozzel
    Best Answer

A very close friend of mine, suffers from a severe type of heart complaint.

He has actually 'died ' on 3 separate occasions.

Each time his heart stopped, he also stopped breathing.

On two of these occasions he was fortunate to be in hospital and in

resus' the other time he was at home with his wife. he was complaining

of severe chest pain whilst watching TV , his wife fearing for her hubby

phoned, the Emergency Paramedics, seconds before they arrived he

had a major heart attack, luckily for him they were able to revive him

It took 5 attempts of the defibrillator to bring him back to life.

When I asked what happened when each time he died, he told me that

the Lights went out and when brought back,

the lights came back on again.

No out of body experiences , no tunnels with light at the end to lure him,

no apparitions, nothing but darkness.

He said nothing happened, just pain and then darkness.

And then when he awoke more pain and discomfort and lights

except the light was from ceiling lights in the 'operating theatre'.

Firmly believes, that nothing exists or happens after you die.

While he wasn't actually diagnosed as 'clinically' dead, he was

certainly without life each time the attacks occurred.

I just thought it was worth a mention about my friends experiences.

• Jacob6 years agoReport

Well that's impossible because you can't revive people once they're gone. He was clinically dead

Working in an in patient Hospital Hospice unit gave me a perspective I could never have seen otherwise. A frequent comment by other nurses was that this type of work caused them to no longer fear death. Only my faith tells me WHERE you go after death but my experience tells me even more than that. First of all there is no doubt at all that there is in fact an afterlife. Most of my patients spent their last hours transitioning between two worlds. Some might say they were only hallucinating but the consistency of the dialog from patient to patient would prove otherwise. I am happy to say that in those years I only witnessed two deaths that were very disturbing in a spiritual way. Those patients struggled with death and the agony they experienced was very unsettling. But the majority were very peaceful and the one thing for sure about each whether peaceful or unsettling was that each one was without a doubt guided to the next "world" with an attendant. Just as we are never alone while we tread this planet we will never be alone for eternity, this I know for certain.

Source(s): Hospice employment experience

Well I believe in God but not in a heaven or hell. I believe that, when we die, all our good - deeds and etc will get praised and rewarded and all the things we have done wrong get their fair punishment (all this is spiritually because or physical bodies don't go with us). I don't know what comes next, where we go or what we do and if anyone says for sure that they know what happens they are liars. Even those who have died and been brought back to life, and have seen what is beyond cannot be sure that what happened was real or that everyone has the same experience...

Source(s): The Torah

Being revived has to happen soon after the person seems to have some form of heart failure. The heart shuts down/stops when a person passes away. Can't get a person "alive again" once that organ stops having oxygen flowing through their body. If Dr. Parina were right, there would be no death but there is. Cemeteries are full of bodies that decay and no longer have a person breathing and moving around within them. Death has a purpose, as bodies age they slow down and wear down,what way is that to continue living later on? Think of the medical bills and care cost once you reach later years.

From a Spiritual view, a body is like a violin case. When the violin is done being played it gets put in the case and closed up. When the body is done being used by a person it's laid to rest in some way too. Life is like a train ride, you board the train at birth, take a ride along your life's journey and at death it's your final destination (the train depot). What happens then is best left as a mystery for later.

Source(s): Physical input from things read/learned on how the body works. Spiritual reference from Pastors who gave talks along the years about after life here.

It's very common that people who have 'died' during surgery or after a severe trauma experience the same type of sensations because some of the electrical activity of brain cells continues for a short time. Plainly this author has a book he needs to sell. Although (some) brain cells can survive for 8 hours or more this is by no means a legitimate argument that people can be brought back from the 'dead' after so many hours. Once the brain ceases to function, vital organs begin shutting down. If it was possible to bring someone back to life after 8 hours of no heart or respiratory function, they would inevitably suffer irreversible brain and organ damage.

I think that death is like before birth, we have no memory of living prior to birth and will have the same thing after death. Energy never dies, so the energy stored within our body in muscles and organs will be released and taken up by other entities such as bugs, bacteria and fungi which break the bonds down to use the chemical energy for themselves. Some chemical energy remains in terms of bones. In that respect, we never die because our energy is passed on to other life forms.

I believe in god for a couple of reasons. One just because I was raised in a church and my whole family is Christian. two because how else do you explain the supernatural events that occur. If you find yourself asking "what supernatural events?", I have met at least three people who have died for about an hour and then come back. In fact my AP world History teacher died after surgery for about half an hour and he said that when he died he was floating and he saw a light. Next he heard a voice telling him that he was not done on earth and that when he woke up he needed to become a teacher..he woke up afterwards and did just that. I think for some peopl it is easy to write things like that off and say that they ist be lying but they dont have anyway of actually disproving it. Science does not disprove the existence of a God. Science can only test things like how one thing works better than another, how the body is made up, and chemical reactions..ect.... Science has no way of explaining what the perpose of life is or whether or not there is a god. Therefore why not believe in god? no good reason against it :D

Source(s): meeeeeee:)

I believe in god, religions but not Hell or heaven, I think none exist. Don't get me wrong, because yes as the manifestation of god has said that there is hell and heaven, we have to know what does hell and heaven mean. The meaning of hell and heaven are not the right meaning, as people think they are. Heaven is not a place, when you help people be the best of your self, be the close to perfection (no ones perfect) is when you know you did good things in the other world and that's heaven, you know you did not waste time and helped others. And hell is when you know what you did was a waste of time and you didn't did your best. Okay so too complicated ? Lets go from what is evil? People say there is evil some say not. Evil is not real, let me give an example, it's like darkness, darkness in not real. It is when there is no light in a place or room. So what is evil? It's the lack of being good and kind. So evil doesn't exist it's a lack. Nothing bad exists, they are all a lack of something good. So maybe that will help a bit.

• ?

I go by what the scriptures say along with scientific evidence.

Ecl. 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.

Rom. 6:23 For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.

Man is made from the dust and his body goes back to the dust. With that said, the Creator has a perfect memory of every single cell in our body. It is not a difficult feat to bring a person back to life again. There will be many resurrected from the grave in the last days and they will be able to make their mind up if they want to live in that new earth, growing to perfection. Believe it or not, some will not want it.

“I have hope toward God . . . that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.”—ACTS 24:15.

• Marsel

I believe nothing happens. We just die in order to leave space for the next generations. We will find out at some point. Maybe today,maybe tomorrow, who knows? I try to enjoy every moment of my life by thinking other stuff rather than something that I will eventually learn. Maybe afterlife exists. Maybe our body is just vehicle transporting our soul...

Obviously, the transition experience isn't the same for everyone so generalizing about death would not be accurate.

Do you refer to the physical death of the form? As you know, the physical body is born, lives for its allotted time here, and will be dispersed when it is time to leave; it's a natural transmutation of the elements from one state into another. However, if you refer to the death of one's consciousness, it is an impossibility.

The question is incomplete because you are presenting a situation without defining the words "death", "life", "consciousness", or who is this "I" in essence. There's the key! After reaching an understanding of your terms you can present your query with more clarity. You might even be surprised that you can answer your own question once you've understood what so-called death really is.

I'm sure we've heard of countless cases of people's OBE and NDE experiences so I need not repeat any although there is one recent case of a woman, Anita Moorjani, who verified what the doctor said when outside the hospital room while she was in a coma which ability confirms that we DO have another state of consciousness not dependent upon a physical brain's condition in time of crisis.

I would suggest your reading up on Astral Travel and making an effort to develop in this direction as it will give you an experience of what the afterlife is about - a realm of thought created by one's own consciousness in which there is no time or space as we think of by necessity here.

"Bashar - Life After Death"

http://youtu.be/-DLSyU7y97M

Youtube thumbnail

---------------

"Spiritual Reality - Power of Meditation"

http://youtu.be/TWttCv0p6WQ

Youtube thumbnail

---------------

If you really want to know all, I strongly suggest you get the book "The Spirits Book" from Allan Kardek. It is available at Amazon in soft cover for about $20 or so. It tells all with detailed 1050 or so questions and relevant answers. It was written over 100 years ago through very high level mediums. It is my "bible" for regarding the afterlife. Although the medium and Kardek were Christians, the book nevertheless leans heavily on necessary reincarnation when the time comes for a spirit to descend again.

As to your comment that death can be reversed long after having been considered dead, that is impossible once the brain is dead and has liquefied. A person could be revived after a long time even if there is no more detectable brain activity with the best diagnostic equipment available today. That would be a very deep coma.