promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 7 years ago

F-1 Visa holder wants to marry?


I came over here in 2010 to attend FSU on a Football Schoolarship with an F1 VISA. Im here now for 3 years and I am dating my girlfriend for little bit longer than 2 years. We were talking about marriage a lot and I think I will purpose her this summer. My Visa is Valid until 2015, but I think I have to change it once I am engaged or married ??

My Question pretty much is, what do I have to do to make this as smooth as possible for both of us ? I do not want any problems with homeland security or anything lol.

Is there even a chance for me to stay here after we get married ?


2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You don't have to change your visa status because you get married. Of course, if you don't, then your visa will expire once you graduate and you'll be forced to leave the country.

    Once you propose to her (and she hopefully accepts!), collect as much evidence of your relationship that you can. You need to be able to prove that you are marrying her because you love her, and not for immigration purposes. Print-outs of e-mails and other contact between you two is good, as well as other evidence for how long you've had a relationship. Once you get married, file for an adjustment of status to a permanent residence visa (Green Card).

    If your study visa expires while a decision on whether you get a Green Card is pending, you will be allowed to stay in the interim. This is why it's important to file for the adjustment of status.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    as you are here already legally .. just marry and your soouse files for a green card

    your visa will become void with a green card

    get an aila lawyer if you find a form filling problem

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.