T
T asked in 社會與文化語言 · 7 years ago

回鍋一個回鍋問題

Two parts to this post.

First

Can a reader easily understand the meaning of four sentences?

(I.e. There is no ambiguity on what it is trying to say.)

1 He is using reused oil for cooking.

2 He is reusing reused oil for cooking.

3 He is using used oil for cooking.

4 He is reusing used oil for cooking.

Second

Rank the above sentences from most articulate to the least articulate.

(Warning: Skip the 2nd part if you don't dare to stare a lion straight into its eyes and say, Get your mane straighten up first before you roar)

Let's make this even more interesting. Which of the above 4 best articulates this Chinese sentence, 他正在用回鍋油做菜

Provide your own translation if you have the uncontrollable urge to do so.

眾位提供的意見跟答案幫我想到令一個討論點

大家都知道把動詞 use 變成 used 就是形容詞

英文內 used 是個很常用的形容詞用來表達用過的東西

所以 是很常見的使用法

連英文母語的人也都是如此頻繁使用

但是搜尋 reuse 的使用方法時˙ 大部分都是當做動詞˙跟過去式動詞使用˙

把 reused 當成形容詞來使用的情況非常少

雖然 在文法上是沒有錯誤˙聽者也懂得表達的意思

但是母語英文的人看到把 reused 當作形容詞去表達 '用過的東西' 是否會覺得奇怪???

The low-down for Panda's inquisitive mind: I was wandering in the English jungle of languages. I failed to heed the scent of feces & encroached upon the territory of the King of the Jungle. As I was sprinkling a few drops of wisdom onto this fine young man who asked about 回鍋油...

I heard a thunderous roar: How dare you say that "used oil" is as good as "reused oil". Used oil means all types of oil. Whereas, reused oil means exactly 回鍋油. Me and my big mouth, I asked: Reused massage oil 有回過鍋嗎?

Then I saw claws flashed before my eyes.

So, here I am, just trying to do a gut check on my own logic thru others opinions.

So I asked 3 friends who are native English speakers, English, Poli-Sci, & bio-chem majors.

Me: Do you know what is 'reused oil'?

English: What type of oil are you talking about?

Poli-sci: Are you talking about some kind of reclaimed waste oil?

Bio-chem: What's the ingredient?

To me, that's proof that a native English speaker isn't likely to immediately think of 'reused oil' as 回鍋油. Then I provided the context of cooking oil.

All three agree that, with proper context, 'used oil' is just as good as 'reused oil'.

But here is the kicker. They all feel that they would simply say 'reuse used oil' instead of 'use reused oil'. So 羅莉's answer aligns with native English speakers more.

With all due respects and appreciations for those who provided answers and comments, I am picking 羅莉's answer as the best answer because it matches feedback from native English speakers.

Rating
  • 羅莉
    Favorite Answer

他正在用回鍋油做菜

1 He is using reused oil for cooking.

2 He is reusing reused oil for cooking.

3 He is using used oil for cooking.

4 He is reusing used oil for cooking.

以確切的語意來說, 我認為第3句完全符合.

「回鍋」一詞, 是中文的slang, 意思不是只看字面, 日常生活中任何的人、事物, 只要是「再度使用」都可稱為或戲稱為回鍋, 不一定要放回鍋中才算, 也不一是用過一次或幾次.

例如用過的油只要再度或反複用於烹飪, 就叫作回鍋油, 這當然沒有問題;

而用過的油拿來炒菜、拌沙拉、製肥皂等, 這用過的油都算是回鍋油, 不一定要放回鍋中才算.

used vs. resued (adj.)

就英文而言, 不論是用過一次或是幾次的油, 都叫作used oil

而reused oil指的是反複用過的油, 不包含只用過一次的油, 因為用過兩次以上,

才符合reused的字義.

use vs. reuse (v.)

第一次使用或第一次回鍋使用, 動作都是use或be using

而reuse = use again, 再度或反複使用, 動作才是reuse或be reusing.

準此, 「他正在用回鍋油做菜」此句並沒說「再度」使用回鍋油, 而單純是使用, 所

以動詞用is using即可; 至於受詞used oil是包含用過一次或幾次都符合意思, 而無

需用reused. 故第3句"He is using used oil for cooking"為正解.

至於第4句 :

He is reusing used oil for cooking.

= He is again using used oil for cooking.

應等同於: 「他又在使用回鍋油做菜」

2013-02-26 10:27:03 補充:

My priority sequence is: 3 > 1 > 4 > 2

2013-02-26 14:00:37 補充:

used作為形容詞大家很熟悉是因為此字很常見;

reused則是被動語意Vpp的用法, 任何動詞的Vpp都適用, 分詞具形容詞性質.

2013-02-26 14:10:30 補充:

本題版的used與reused都是此二字的本義: 用過的/反覆使用過的

動詞詞性大於形容詞性.

若是表「習慣的」之意時, used是純粹的形容詞, 而reused卻不適用

例如有get used to片語, 而沒有get reused to這樣的片語.

2013-02-27 14:12:39 補充:

如果你把初次使用的油從鍋裡倒出到容器裡, 準備作回鍋之用, 在容器裡雖然還沒回到鍋裡, 它也叫作回鍋油;

如果你把初次使用的油留在鍋裡冷卻, 準備再使用, 油雖然沒離開鍋, 第二天使用時, 它仍叫做回鍋油.

因此, 凡是用過的油就是回鍋油, 可以是used oil, 也可以是reused oil, 惟後者必是用過不止一次.

used一詞重點不在old, 一瓶十年沒開封過的油也不能稱之為used oil.

2013-02-27 14:20:32 補充:

本題「用回鍋油做菜」, 雖然沒說此油用過幾次, 但以used oil稱之最為適當, 可以涵蓋用過幾次與只用過一次的油.

Source(s): 羅莉 : 文法+語感

I highly suspect Mr. T has something up his sleeves by asking such question....cough it out Riddler T, are you trying to fry our brains again?

2013-02-28 07:55:04 補充:

This is indeed a question worth pondering...

Don't know if anyone would benefit from eating my brain though, after all, I am not the wisest in the animal kingdom.

I usually stare a lion straight into its eyes and say whatever I want to say, behind the glass. If that is OK, my answer to the first question is: No, not until the reader knows the difference between 'used' and 'reused'.

✱ 'Used' means old, may be only used once or many times. It emphasizes that it's "not new" anymore.

✱ 'Reused' also means old, but "repeatedly" used many times. It emphasizes repetition.

1 He is using reused oil for cooking.

→ He is using (this time) repeatedly-used oil for cooking.→He is using very unfresh oil for sure. We don't know if he used this very unfresh oil before.

2 He is reusing reused oil for cooking.

→ He is reusing (not the first time) repeatedly-used oil for cooking. → This is not the first time that he uses this very unfresh oil for cooking.

3 He is using used oil for cooking.

→ He is using (this time) once-used oil for cooking.→ He is using oil which has been used before, unfresh or very unfresh. And we don't know if he used this not-so-fresh oil before.

4 He is reusing used oil for cooking.

→ He is reusing( many times) once-used oil for cooking. → This is not the first time that he is using the oil which was used before, not sure how fresh this oil is.

Depending on how you define 'articulate', the ranking for clarity of expression is :

(1) > (3) > (4) > (2)

Or, the ranking, from the most to the least specific is :

(2) > (4) or (1) > (3)

Chef T, after you boiled your brain, are you trying to cook our brains too ? :-)

2013-02-26 10:18:02 補充:

The answer for the best translation of '他正在用回鍋油做菜' is :

1 He is using reused oil for cooking.

And, Please ! No more 'even more interesting questions'. My brain needs to cool off. :-)

2013-02-26 11:10:16 補充:

Master Melon, Thanks!

I suppose a cooked brain can be reused pretty well !

I have been trained by Chef T before. He is a real Riddler. If you know his style, you would know his game.

2013-02-26 14:44:34 補充:

'He is cooking with reused oil.' would be better. 接意見區.

2013-02-26 14:50:07 補充:

'Reused' as an adjective is perfectly fine with native English speakers (I checked for you). The sentence sounds redundant, because you put the verb (using) and the adjective (reused) together. 'He is cooking with reused oil.' would be better.

2013-02-26 15:03:59 補充:

'Used oil' is good for once-used oil, while 'reused oil' is 'repeatedly-used' oil. To decide which one is more suitable, it really depends on what you know about the oil.

2013-02-26 15:05:11 補充:

BTW, I think the bald look is meaner than the mohawk, but I'm not sure if the lion will like it or not.

2013-02-26 15:09:28 補充:

I don't know if your brain is fried or refried. I definitely know my brain is deep-fried all right.

2013-02-27 11:34:53 補充:

I suspect Riddler T is preparing reused oil to fry Panda's brain. You know, Pandas are exotic animals. Their brains are worth a lot ! 很補的!

我輸入 what is reused oil 進 google 搜尋

第一頁的結果幾乎都沒有人用 reused oil 這個字眼

大部分都是 reuse cooking oil 或是 reusing frying oil

唯一接近 reused oil 是 re-used oil 還有一個 reused motor oil

所以我會選

4

3

1

2

• T

First, totally agree that "context" is the most critical part that defines the meaning of a word/phrase.

2013-02-26 08:21:16 補充:

I also agree that "used oil" might just mean any "用過的油" if no context is given.

2013-02-26 13:55:48 補充:

Linda, No game this time. Just want some 2nd, 3rd, or Nth opinions on "used vs. reused" topic. I don't boil brains, only poach some eggs. Maybe, trim some lion's mane while I am at it. Do you think a mohawk would make a lion look meaner???

2013-02-26 14:01:58 補充:

BTW, if I use the same pot of water to poach the next batch of eggs, would it be poaching with "used water" or "reused water"???

I think I think too much. My brain is fried, or should I say refried???

2013-02-27 12:43:18 補充:

A pinch of reclaimed sea salt. A spoonful of reaged balsamic vinegar. A few drops of reused sesame oil.

I can make delicious 黑白切 if that Panda has a black and white brain.

To me, based upon the context of the sentence, I would choose 3, and 4. Sentence #4 might emphasize more on "回鍋", even though sentence#3 is understandable for "回鍋".

2013-02-26 07:47:26 補充:

However, if it is not used in a sentence, like 3 and 4, "used oil" might JUST mean "用過的油", whether it means "回鍋油" or not needs further explanation.

2013-02-26 07:51:46 補充:

my point is, "回鍋油" is certainly "used oil". However, whether this "used oil" being put back to pot (or wok) to use again is NOT clear when we just use "used oil".

2013-02-26 07:51:57 補充:

However, "回鍋油" certainly does indicate that "used oil" is put back to use again.

2013-02-26 10:17:50 補充:

Linda! "after you boiled your brain, are you trying to cook our brains too ?" It sounds like that, but after your elaborating explanation, I think our brains are refreshed, not reused!