Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOlympics · 7 years ago

Question about olympic wrestling and the IOC?

Why would they take wrestling out the olympics? Why would they do that? Wrestling is one of the most intense sports in the olypics and now no more wrestling? Someone please explain why this is happening!!

Favorite Answer

Politics. I know, I'm all torn up inside also. But the IOC is not the Olympics of yestreyear. They love the world and have been corrupted until they aren't even respectable! Low tv ratings is a farce. So is low ticket sales. The answer is politics. Dirty politics. As a collegiate wrestler's daughter, I am ASHAMED of this. Sign Kurt Angle's petition, start one yourself. Wrestling is the cornerstone of the Olympics. Track& Field. Mainstays. Its going to be the perfect storm.

I'll skip the IOC flimsy explanation about how they determined which sport to remove based on TV ratings, international involvement, and ticket sales. I understand that on all three evaluation criteria wrestling beat modern pentathlon and still got removed. So that evaluation is a crock.

As I see it, the real reason the IOC dropped wrestling is that it doesn't fit in with the way the IOC likes to view sports. All the IOC members are fabulously wealthy. Their contact in sports is greatly influenced by their country clubs and grandchildren in prep schools. They don't gather at nearby parks for pickup games. That explains their recent decisions with which sports to add and remove from the Olympics. They've added tennis, golf, and rugby. They've removed baseball, softball, and now wrestling. They've added country club & prep school sports and removed those that are not. The IOC will add a sport for the 2020 Olympics, the first without wrestling. The new sport will be one of the following: karate, wushu, roller sports, speed climbing, wakeboarding, wrestling (fat chance!), and squash. Hmm. Squash is the only country club sport being considered. I wonder which one will get added...

You have probably detected my disgust with the IOC on this matter. The notion that one sport had to be removed was wrong, and that the one sport should be wrestling was even more wrong. I still cringe when the Olympics award medals for rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, dressage, and curling. Don't get me wrong, to some extent, I enjoy watching those sports. But that doesn't mean they deserve equality with track & field, swimming, or wrestling.

Source(s): I'm an Olympics junkie.
  • olympe

Wrestling is between the unique events, going again to the days of historic Greece. without wrestling, this is one a lot less reason I care about the Olympics. Non-events like equestrian and ping-pong are nevertheless contained in the Olympics, yet not wrestling?

Politics, their reasons don't make sense in that other sports have no ticket sales, and there is more drug use in weight lifting and cycling, which were the two excuses for eliminating wrestling.

• Prof

Not a sport "played" world-wide,just pockets of popularity.

Very low ticket sales (except in London).

Very low TV ratings.

Coca-Cola and McDonalds were the main sponsors in London ie American,but STILL chucked out !

It does not cut the mustard now,it is not Ancient Greece !

Source(s): City of Dreaming Spires.

It's all about TRP, money and sponsership.