Internet is F**King up! Is it my Router(comcast) or my new Desktop Wifi Card?

OK so here is what has been happening, a few days ago we switched ISP, and now use Comcast. The modem had to be moved out of my room so my desktop was without internet, so i ordered a desktop WiFi card, when it showed up today (This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8... ) i hooked it all up, and everything was connected fine. I was getting WiFi and everything was great. But my download speeds are spiking like crazy (0.5kbs-2mbs) and even worse, i cant online game AT ALL, my ping is really low, but it disconnects all the freaking time!!!! Ive tried everything from tinkering with the network cards properties to tinkering inside the router, please help me ;-;

Specifics:

Windows 7 OS

ASUS PCE-AC66 Network Card

Comcast/Xfinity Router: Arris: TG862G/CT

Also, im on the other side of the house, roughly 30+ feet away. (which is why i bought such a expensive network card...)

And i think that's it, any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Update:

@Response, Ok i did that (i already set the channel to 11, after doing some research, but ive changed the security type, lets see if it helps, ill post again if it does or doesn't :)

Update 2:

@response *continued* Nope, didnt help anything, still laggy as ****, and still d/cing pretty often. I know it isnt our ISP, cuz we had a lower package and i lagged less...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Wireless connections suck for online gaming.

For gaming you would be much better off with a Ethernet connection.

Latency is the delay (ping time) in milliseconds that it takes the signal to travel to the server and back. The lower the number the better, but you'll definitely want a ping time of under 120 ms or you'll have major problems. Excessive latency (ping) can cause your online games to lag. Your ping may be 30 ms and wireless interference could cause it to spike to 200 ms or more.

It may be hard to get a good wireless signal in all parts of your house. Wireless signals are affected by many factors including distance, wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

Depending on the size of your house and the factors listed above, you may need one or more wireless access points or wireless range extenders to cover all areas adequately.

Just because a particular wireless router works good at one location does not guarantee that it will have similar performance in a different location. The same is true of various wireless adapters and devices, one device may work well with a low wireless signal while another won't.

You should try to centrally locate your wireless router or gateway up high and away from dense walls and electrical and 2.4 GHz wireless interference such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors, etc.

There are solutions if you still have a weak or intermittent wireless signal.

A direct Ethernet cable to the router is the most reliable and requires no security configurations. For a fixed device such as a PC or game console this if by far the best option.

If it is impractical to string cable, there are other options such as powerline network adapters.

You plug one in by the router and one in the location where you need Internet access and connect them to the devices with standard Ethernet patch cables. http://isp1.us/reviews/netgear-xavb2101-powerline-...

The network signals are transmitted over your existing home electrical wiring which will not be affected by wireless interference.

However, if you need wireless mobility, there are various ways to extend a Internet connection to areas with a weak wireless signal.

Devices such as wireless extenders can expand your wireless range if need be. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YAYM06/ref=as...

The wireless range extender receives weak wireless signals and repeats them to extend the signal range to greater distances. Some models include 4 Ethernet ports in addition to the wireless radio.

Good Luck...

Source(s): ISP Info. - http://isp1.us
  • 3 years ago

It can be both wirelessly from your computer's wifi antenna to the router's wifi antenna or with an Ethernet cable out of your computer's Ethernet port to the router's Ethernet port. So far as connecting to the internet goes, they are both the identical; you are going to be capable to do the identical matters over the internet with a wired connection as a wireless connection.

• Nunya
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Try changing your encryption type to wpa2-aes and change the channel to 11 (less used than 1 and 6). Some wifi devices suck hard with mixed mode security (tg862g is wpa/wpa2 mixed mode security by default)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.