What connection does William Seward have in the Civil War?

Our class is doing a little project where we have to research someone in the Civil War & I got assigned to research William Seward. I can only find that he bought Alaska from Russia. I need a little bit more on that. I need to know HOW and WHY he was important in the Civil War. Thanks in advance :)
Update: My teachers have already given me a textbook. This is the information it says about William Seward: "Seward, William H. (1801-1872) American politician, who as Secretary of State was laughed at for "Seward's Folly," the purchase of Alaska from Russia for less than two cents an acre, which added... show more My teachers have already given me a textbook. This is the information it says about William Seward: "Seward, William H. (1801-1872) American politician, who as Secretary of State was laughed at for "Seward's Folly," the purchase of Alaska from Russia for less than two cents an acre, which added approximately 600,000 miles of land to the United States. " There is nothing else. I can't go to a library. I only have the internet, but I need something more than what my textbook provides. Forgive me if I sound like a stupid girl who doesn't want to do her homework. Technically, this isn't even a project, or a class grade, hehe. I just need some information on why he was important in the Civil War. The textbook I'm using is called "United States History: Independence to 1914" from Holt (8th grade), I just need some help understand why this man was important. Please help.
Update 2: @Erinys, Please forgive me if I sound like a stuck up 14 y/o snob that can't surf the internet. :( The social studies teacher I am working with for Pentathlon is not my regular social studies teacher and we all have the same textbook. I went to this website... show more @Erinys, Please forgive me if I sound like a stuck up 14 y/o snob that can't surf the internet. :( The social studies teacher I am working with for Pentathlon is not my regular social studies teacher and we all have the same textbook. I went to this website http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/william-h-seward.html to look for information but it is difficult for me to find out why Seward was important in this war. Once again, forgive me for my rudeness, I do not know what has gotten into me . Or maybe I just wrote snobby-like because the teachers are cramming all this work on the last week of the second trimester and it seems like we have no time to do anything at all. Sorry x7. Also my library is a small room behind the locker rooms and they have the same textbooks I already have. And we only have 2 librarians. And my teachers are nice. :-D
1 answer 1