How does God exist (operational definition)?

Can anyone give me an operational definition for the word exists such that I can use it to tell the difference between a god that does exist and one that doesn't?

James: So the nature of God is unknown and unknowable? This is the Agnostic position. You suggest that there is no way to tell the difference between a God that exists and one that doesn't. If this is the case, then how does anyone know that the God they believe in is real or not?

Hitman: This is the Argument from Ignorance. The only way you can tell Allah is real is because you can't understand how we can be here without Him? So if someone can't understand how we can be here without Neptune proves Neptune exists?

Idleness: Another Agnostic response from you. Nonexistant things don't have any properties, so God has no properties? Doesn't that make Him nonexistent?

Elizabeth: Exists = Interacts with the Universe. So then, no God exists at all that we can tell?

Albert: Interesting idea about cosmology, but what is the definition of existence? You appear to be clouding the issue with a Red Herring. How do I tell if this God you credit actually exists or is just mad

Favorite Answer

I suppose the best definition would be 'interacts with the universe' ... suppose there is an invisible elephant in my room. I can't see, hear, smell, touch or, em, taste it. This elephant can't interact with any of the objects in the room. It can't pick them up or move them, etc. Now, if the elephant cannot be detected by any physical measurement I make, then that elephant may as well 'not' exist since nothing I do will reveal that elephant to me.

The same is true of God. We can say that the probability of God's existence is extremely small because we have no physical proof of this God. We have no proof that God helps people in exams (a physical manifestation). We have no proof that God cures people of cancer (a physical manifestation). We have no proof that God punishes people (a physical manifestation) or moves mountains, or burns bushes, or guides evolution, or tinkers with the chemicals of life, or rescues people from car accidents, or makes the Williams sisters win their tennis matches, or any of the other things we claim.

So a God that exists should be detectable. One that isn't should not. And if an existing God chooses not to interact with our universe, then their existence is irrelevant.

all the properties of god are indentical with the properties of nonexisting things. According to the myths you apparently will need to wait for armageddon for god to seem like it exists. Until then, he cant be detected in any way anywhere in the universe.

Their is only One True God-Allah and of course He exists. How are you created??!!! (Don't say sperm and egg cells combined together form a baby) because then who created the sperm and the egg cells???

They can't create themselves can they?!

Source(s): Muslim-Read the Holy Qur'an for your eyes to be opened.

The pot cannot comprehend the potter.

Sorry!