REMOVE MY COSIGNER FROM MY HOUSE...?

Hi, I own a house in Waltham,MA.area. House is worth about $600,000 and mortgage left is about $327,000.

My brother is cosigner on the mortgage,, interest rate is 5.37%. Currently my brother wants to be off from my mortgage. And because of I have a very low or poor credit score I can not qualify and to hold the mortgage by myself.

My brother has threatened to sue me if he is not out of the mortgage soon.

( I do not want to sell the house)

HOW CAN I TAKE HIM OFF? CAN BANKS HELP ME REFI WITH OUR MY BROTHER?

can anyone help? are there such organizations that can help on this matter.

Attorneys do you have any solutions on this matter?

Favorite Answer

Since you can't refi to buy him out your ONLY choice is to sell. Why are you trying to screw your brother over? You will lose in court, you will be forced to sell. Instead of you both throwing thousands at attorneys when there is only one possible outcome you should cooperate, you will both be better off doing so.

• Lisa A

If you can't refi, you can't get your brother off the mortgage. You will need to sell the house.

Your brother can't get out of the mortgage without paying it off. He is just as liable for the mortgage as you are. I have no idea what he thinks that he is going to sue you for. For his own stupidity in entering into this contract?

It was nice of your brother to go into debt with you for your benefit so you should have made an effort to improve you credit to refinance. Maybe your score has improved enough to refi since you have equity. If not you may need to sell. I don't know if he can be successful in a law suit against you unless you agreed to refinance or sell and don't do it. He may have a right to force you to sell to release him from this debt.

You know as long as he owes on your house he will have a hard time financing a home for himself so this is a big deal to him.

Unless you improve your credit standing, you will not be able to refinance on your own. The good news is that your brother has not a thing for which to sue you. He apparently willingly co-signed the mortgage for you. There is nothing he can legally do to force you to refinance the property.

Your brother should have thought about that before he cosigned. He may be out of luck now. If you're making the payments on time, why is your brother freaking out in the first place?