Why do Americans see Socialism as a dirty word?

Does the average American even understand the concept of Socialism? Many see Socialism as taking someone's money and giving it to others. From the point of view of Capitalists, I understand why its a dirty word. We have grown accustomed to the unfairness of our system. Another way of describing... show more Does the average American even understand the concept of Socialism?

Many see Socialism as taking someone's money and giving it to others. From the point of view of Capitalists, I understand why its a dirty word. We have grown accustomed to the unfairness of our system. Another way of describing socialism is EVERYONE BEING EQUAL IN TERMS OF THEIR RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES. And not allowing one person to usurp the rights of others to make a profit. It is a concept they taught to us in preschool...SHARING.

Most Americans have no problem with Social Security, Medicare, Welfare, and such, which are socialist approaches to caring for the vulnerable in our society.

Pure Capitalism would eventually result in Overlords and Slaves because GREED knows no limits. Your thoughts...
Update: @ Charro, I do understand your perception but it is flawed. Socialism doesn't mean give away everything, it means everyone who is working ACTUALLY BENEFITS in equal measure. For example, if we both work equal hours in the same company at the same job, we would both get equal pay. That company would make... show more @ Charro,
I do understand your perception but it is flawed. Socialism doesn't mean give away everything, it means everyone who is working ACTUALLY BENEFITS in equal measure. For example, if we both work equal hours in the same company at the same job, we would both get equal pay. That company would make profits and share them equally with everyone in the same work class of that company. There is no benefit for NOT working in socialism. And those who want more...can save, instead of stealing profits from workers by taking their rights away.
Update 2: There are many wealthy socialist countries. It refers to an economic system which spreads wealth around. The average American's issues are financial. The middle class is becoming the poor because the people at the top of our economic system (owners) will never be fair enough to share (I mean take a... show more There are many wealthy socialist countries. It refers to an economic system which spreads wealth around. The average American's issues are financial. The middle class is becoming the poor because the people at the top of our economic system (owners) will never be fair enough to share (I mean take a reasonable profit and allow workers to make a living wage) on their own.
Update 3: Rob, Ray, Dee in CO, and Michael...all great answers. Thank you.