Could a writer who has a college degree in Graphic Design, design his/her own book?

Could a writer who has a college degree in Graphic Design,design his/her own book?

I'm asking this because I've been writing my book for about four years now, and I'm nearly done the first draft. I'm currently a first-year in college taking Graphic Design. I've heard that writers usually have little-to-no say on what goes on their book's cover, and publishers hire artists, and graphic designers to do the job instead. So my question; could I design my own book?

Favorite Answer

If you go the traditional route to publication, you get little or no say in how your book looks. Most authors know nothing about the visual arts or design, and the publisher has people who've made a career out of it. If you could convince the publisher that you knew what you were talking about in that department, they might let you have some say, but their word would still be final.

If you self-publish, you can design everything (and unless you pay a freelancer or have friends who owe you favours, you'll have to design everything).

Eh. You might have a bit more say (or nonetheless none in any respect). The publishing company will have an illustrator create a canopy that they think will promote, so you could have little say.

• Banana

I completely designed my book (www.barnesandnoble.com/w/at-first-glance-breeanna-mae-alessandra/1111176776?ean=9781477101322) And I have no degree period.

Hope I helped!