JW’s, what do the words “in the spirit” mean in 1 Peter 3:18, John 4:23, Luke 1:17 etc.?

You say that 1 Peter 3:18 is proof that Christ was raised as a spirit because of the words “made alive in the spirit” therefore you will agree that every mention of "in the spirit" below apples to people who are spirits and not living men.

John 4:23 . Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father ((in the Spirit)) and in truth,

1 Peter 3:18 …. He being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive (((in the spirit))).

Luke 1:17 And he will go on before the Lord, ((in the spirit)) and power of Elijah, ………

1 Corinthians 14:16 Otherwise when you are praising God ((in the Spirit)), ………….

Ephesians 6:18 And pray (((in the Spirit))) on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests

Philippians 2:1 …… if any common sharing (((in the Spirit))), if any tenderness and compassion,

Colossians 1:8 and who also told us of your love (((in the Spirit))).

Revelation 1:10 On the Lord’s Day I was (((in the Spirit))), and I heard behind .......

Revelation 4:2 At once I was (((in the Spirit))), and there before ..........

Revelation 17:3 Then the angel carried me away (((in the Spirit))) into a wilderness.

Revelation 21:10 And he carried me away (((in the Spirit))) to a mountain .....

@TeeM, thank you for your incorrect answer, true the context of a word can change the intended meaning of the word but in the verses I quoted the context was the same resulting in the same meaning for each of the verses quoted. Christ, made alive "in the spirit" John, carried away, "in the spirit", but thank you again for your feeble attempt to prove God's living word wrong.

• TeeM
    Favorite Answer

The Hebrew and Greek words we translate into English as 'spirit' has 7 alternate means from "wind", "breath", "zeal", "mental attitude" "life force" to a heavenly creature, etc.

Context determines which definition applies.

Example "The fox ran fast, the rabbit was held fast, thus ending the fast of the fox."

Fast in this has different meanings. Trying to make them mean the same in all cases makes you wrong. Your question fits this attempt.

.

They will not be able to answer this question. They have no concept of what it is to be in the spirit is all about. They think in the flesh and live in the flesh. They have not been born of the spirit. They have not yet died in the flesh. They think it wrong to be reborn, regenerated in the spirit. The thing is that there is overwhelming scriptural evidence demonstrating that Jesus was resurrected in his own physical Body and not their spirit creatures body. The rest of the Bible harmonizes with the physical resurrection. It's only in the MINDS of the Jehovah's Witnesses that it does not. But if your bent on being in the flesh then I guess your blinded by you own ignorance.

LOL If they were slain in the spirit or were overcame by the spirit, they would be disfellowshipped!