Is it bad format to describe your character in your screenplay, by writing that he looks like another?

For Example:

----Randall Hall, dashing, tuxedo fitted like LEONARDO DICAPRIO FROM TITANIC----

• S.K.
    Favorite Answer

W A A, you never want to limit the casting of a role that way. Envision the character however you like, but limit the description only to what facts must be present for the role to work. Usually that's age, occasionally attire (wealthy? homeless rags?), sometimes race.

But most spec screenplays go with something like "RANDALL HALL, mid-thirties," and no more than that.

Read screenplays. Lots of them. That's what you'll see, and that's what you want to emulate.

Yeah, I'd say so. The person you're comparing your character to may one day be too outdated to be a relevant reference, and plus it kind of pulls the reader out of the story. I don't like when people do it myself.