Why do some non-Jewish people get circumsized?

Like, i'm Jewish, so of course i'm circumcised; but, why do some gentiles get circumcised, too?

Update:

@Maka: Um, but that's what you call non-Jews. You call them gentiles. It's not an offensive statement at all, it just means you're a non-Jew. Would you be mad if I called you a human?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In 1975, the American Academy of Pediatrics stated in no uncertain terms that "there is no absolute medical indication for routine circumcision of the newborn." In 1983, the AAP and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists restated this position. In 1999 and again in 2005, the AAP again restated this position of equivocation.

Currently, the practice of newborn circumcision is very common. It has been estimated that 60%-75% of all males in the United States are circumcised. This number, of course, varies depending upon ethnicity and religious affiliation.

Regarding newborn circumcision, most physicians today agree with the practice of informing parents of the risks and benefits of the procedure in an unbiased manner. Recently, however, several large studies revealed a 60% decrease in HIV transmission in circumcised males compared to uncircumcised males. This may ultimately influence some changes in recommendations in the near future, and there is significant pressure for the AAP and ACOG to reconsider their positions.

Personally, I'm glad my parents had it done to me - although I'm not sure if I had a son I'd be able to do it to him with a clear conscience.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

First it was to reduce male sexual pleasure. This was a Victorian age thing that continued until about the 1950s. Then it was the primative ideas of hygiene and not understanding good and foreign (invasive) bacteria). This actually continues with people (including doctors and nurses) still saying this. They miss the idea that there is bacteria all over us and we all NEED it. It is actually not cleaner to have a cut up penis. It has now also been observed that natural boys have the same bacteria as natural girls and that cut boys have different (invasive) bacteria. A partial penis (cut up penis or frankenpenis) is just missing parts, but as such it is invaded by not natural bacteria.

Those that want to keep the practice going have contrived reasons. They say cutting off penis parts lowers STD risk. However, in the US and other advanced countries the data clearly shows that cut and natural men have about the same STDs. Some studies show that circumcised men pass HIV to partners at a higher rate and acquire STDs at a higher rate. In other words natural will save STD costs:

from Puerto Rico

"Circumcised men have accumulated larger numbers of STI in their lifetime, have higher rates of previous diagnosis of warts, and were more likely to have HIV infection."

The parts of the penis that are cut off are some of the most highly innervated parts of the human. The lips, nipples and fingertips have similar touch sense. To take this away from another person without their consent is heinous. To do this to a newborn baby is creepy, child abuse and a human rights VIOLATION.

• Gary B
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Actually, there are some very serious medical reasons FOR circumcision.

The Human Papillomavirus (HPV) causes Cervical Cancer in women. They have developed a vaccine for it, but during the research they found that the HPV actually LIVES in the folds of the foreskin! They ALSO found that HPV causes Cancaer of the Penis.

Some other studies showed that women who are married to uncircumcised men have from 3 to 4 times GREATER chance of developing cervical cancer. While penis cancer in men is rather rare, it has been found that penis cancer occurs ONLY in UNcircumcised men! The act of circumcision totally eliminates tha man's chances of getting penis cancer.

Laterly, it has been found that MANY cancers are caused by HPV. I had a very close friend who died a couple of years ago at age 52, from Salivary Gland Cancer. He told me before he died that his docors said that his cancer was caused by HPV. He then cried, and said, "I'm dying because of all the f***ing around I did as a teenager."

It has ALSO been found that MANY STDs are carried in the foreskin, including HIV, and that the incidents of STD in relationship (both gay and straight) where the male(s) are circumcised, the incidence of STDs are lower than other relationships.

Do YOU think God knew this, even "way back then"?

• 7 years ago

infant circumcision is automatically done in most hosptials when male children are born. it has no significance to religion or race. it is just something they do because it is easier to teach little boys how to cleanse themselves when they do not have to deal with foreskin.

jewish people are the only ones who do it by covenant on the 8th day. everyone else is done at birth unless the parents specifically ask for them not to....at least here in the united states it is done that way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

It is believed to be a health issue.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Among non-Jews in the US, it's been done fairly routinely for hygiene reasons for a long time.

Muslims do it for religious reasons as Jews do.

• 7 years ago

They have same sex parents

Source(s): I know where you live
  • yuki
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

it's easier to clean and easier to keep non-infected.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

there are health benefits believed to result from circumcising.

if it makes you feel better, fewer boys get circumscribed all the time..

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

There is a great controversy about the benefits of circumcision. But the fact is the benefits do not outweigh the harm and it is at it's core genital mutilation.

There is no harmful effect of having a foreskin, just a myth.

Source(s): Skepticism
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.