Suggestions for a good book for a 13 yr old boy.....?

My son doesn't like to read and I'm sure he just hasn't found good books. I'm looking for book suggestions for a 13 yr old boy who doesn't like to read. Thanks for any help!

• Favorite Answer

Forcing someone to read will not make them want to.

Animal Farm - George Orwell

ANY books by Cornelia Funke should be great for Percy Jackson/Harry Potter fans. :)

Brother Grimm - Craig Russell

Cirque Du Freak Series - Darren Shan

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Eragon Series by Christopher Paolini

Game of Thrones - George Martin

Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chobsky

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I would definitely recommend the Cherub series by Robert Muchamore. It's about children secret agents who work at a top secret facility called 'Cherub'. They get really hard-core training, then get sent off on different missions around the world. The main character is a 12 or 13 year old boy called James Adams, so your son will be able to relate to him more than he might to other books. Currently there are 12 books in the series, so once he starts the first book, if he enjoys it, he can continue reading without the excuse "but I don't know what to read". Its written in easy language but still has a great story line, so it will be good if your son isn't a very confident reader. Also, make sure he reads them in order, because there are changes in relationships ect. that won't make sense if you read them randomly. The first book is called 'The Recruit' (the first one also comes as a graphic novel - maybe you could try him on that to get him into the story?). One problem might be that some of the books contain drug use, one book contains sex and all the books contain violence, but nothing more serious or graphic than a typical action movie (PG-13 in America or M in Australia). The books that do contain drug use or sex have 'Not suitable for younger readers' written on the back if you want to avoid those. If you want extra info on the books visit: http://www.cherubcampus.com/books.htm

Source(s): I've been reading these since I was 11, and still enjoy them now, even though I'm 15 and an avid reader.

Suggestions: reward for personal 1 minute book report (oral/written) he gives for any book he reads. Talking at dinner about a book such as those he reads, that you read. Reading the same book; discussing it in a genuine or casual manner. Books reflecting his interests.

Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians (four in series by Brandon Sanderson)

Tintin series

Adventurer's Guide, Jack Wheeler

They Call Me Coach, John Wooden (maybe)

The Neverending Story

Momo

A Wrinkle in Time (series, four)

"Michael Vey," 2 books in series so far

Adventures of Dr. Dolittle (for some)

Johnny Tremain

The Education of Little Tree

The Great Divorce

A Christmas Carol

• Erika

Treasure Island or Kidnapped through Robert Louis Stevenson 20,000 Leagues beneath the sea by using Jules Verne Robinson Crusoe Swiss household Robinson Gulliver's Travels The rely of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas The Three Musketeers via Alexander Dumas the call of the Wild or White Fang by Jack London Alex Rider sequence via Anthony Horowitz Hornblower series through CS Forester different books by the creator of Hatchet (2nd hyperlink beneath)

• I would recommend a series of books called Mortal Chaos by Matt Dickinson - the books are not too long each chapter is around 2/3 pages long. However this doesn't mean the story line is weak - the books plots centre around the chaos theory - a small event in one place creates a ripple effect that can be felt the world over. The plot is fast paced and interesting. The books appeal to weak and strong readers alike because the stories are original and exciting - the bonus is that the structure of the books do not put off readers who don't like long books or who struggle to finish books. The books are independent of each other and can be read in any order. I have reviewed them on my website www.booksteensandmagazines.com.

Good luck

• mee

The book that made me love reading would be Harry Potter by J.K Rowling :)

You can also try

- Hunger Games

- Percy Jackson

- Pendragon

- Vampire Academy

• I'd definitely recommend Diary of a Wimpy Kid!

I would give him a variety of books. I have a brother who is about his age that doesn't like reading. He is more interested in gaming. However; these were books he actually read and enjoyed.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Rift by SK Hammerstone

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

He is still a work in progress, but any of these might help, especially since if he is interested in them, they are all first books in a series

-Diary of a Wimpy Kid

-Life of Pi (I know a 12 year old girl reading this)

-Fearless, Reckless

-Fifty shades of Grey (lol, jk)

-The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime

-An Idiot Abroad

-His favourite celebrity's bio.

Good luck! (:

I was literally like him! Haha I'm 16 yrs old now. I hated reading, but try giving the Harry Potter books! Honestly, this is why I love J.K. Rowling so much. She brought me into the world of literature.

And she inspired me.

Also, try to see what kind of shows/movies he likes watching. That'd give you the hint as to what type of book he might like.