T asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 8 years ago

Do I need to have an environmental engineering degree to get into urban farming?

I've been working for years within the tv business but I'd like to get involved in something else I enjoy which is urban farming. I have a communications degree but I'm wondering if I need to get another degree in environmental engineering. Is there another way of getting a career in urban farming that doesn't necessarily involve going back to school? At this point I simply can't afford to go back. However, I'm more than willing to put in the effort into getting into urban farming but after having had a career for so long I want to make sure I maximize all the ways I can learn urban farming without having to have the degree.

Favorite Answer

No you do not need and environmental engineering degree to be an urban farmer.

What you need to do is to volunteer on an Urban farm for a season to see if you even like the job. Most people have romantic notions about farming but after a week or two of actually working outdoors in all weather doing a lot of back breaking mind numbingly boring jobs most people find another line of work.

If you feel you must go back to school to get a degree to do Urban farming I would suggest agriculture/horticulture or botany as you will be working mostly with plants and animals. marketing would be another handy talent as half of what urban farmers do is market their crops direct to the public and they do a lot of education about food and farming.

No, what you need is a passion for the work and the desire to keep learning. Getting involved as a volunteer is a great way to learn about growing food crops. Read everything you can find on gardening and food safety. Most urban gardening/farming tend to be not for profit efforts. Think about building a business model on how you might make it a paying business.

I answered your other post. But I'll repeat here. Environmental engineering is a completely different field from urban farming! There may be some minimal overlap, but not much. Environmental engineers deal with things like brownfields cleanups, waste management, etc.

If you really do want to go back to school, study horticulture, greenhouse management, vegetable crop production, or some other agricultural field, but I don't think any degree is really neccessary if you get some work experience on farms instead.

There are examples of many entrepreneurs who have excelled in their career by leaps & bounds & have achieved their goals,without any university degree.

A university degree will give you all the basic knowledge about a subject with on hand practicals,but from then on one has to cut a lonely furrow. Though may not be necessary to get a university degree,but what you will lose at the theory & practicals you need to make it up with hard work at your work stations - if you could carry it out,you may not go to a college -

Please remember,talking is different from actually executing.

Source(s): Have seen such scenarios & guided accordingly.

sure. i think of you may. Plus, you may pursue extra levels in Civil and different fields. it is going to offer extra fee on your jobs. Pursuing on line levels is ultimate because it helps you multiple flexibility in dealing with time and attending on line training with out going everywhere. So, in this way, you may save up with your jobs besides as courses at the same time. I actual have some hyperlinks the place you will locate extra suggestion concerning careers, skills and different information of Civil Engineering etc.