promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How does Les Miserables correlate with European History?

I know this is an ignorant question, but for my history class, we were supposed to go see Les Miserables in theaters (if possible) and then write a paragraph on how it relates to what we learned in class. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking French revolution, but to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the movie because I hate musicals.

Could anyone tie the movie in with history (with details?) I would appreciate it so very much. Best answers and five stars to the greatest help. Thanks in advance.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Les Miserables uses various parts of European (specifically French) history and 'coalesces' them. This is a tool of the trade which other playwrights such as William Shakespeare passed on to such folk as Victor Hugo.

There is a point in the story about Valjean's rescue which relates to the Battle of Waterloo.

Not all enactments of Les Miserables are 'musicals', by the way.

Source(s): Kuiper, Kathleen (ed) - Merriam-Webster's Encycyclopedia of Literature. Springfield: Merriam-Webster: 1995, p. 766
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

The story of Les Miserables (at least the part of the book depicted in the Musical) begins in 1815, shortly after Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo. Where Jean Vajean meets the Bishop and steals his silver occurs just a few months after Napoleon was deposed. Cosette is born about this same time period.

In 1818 Fantine leaves Cosete in the care of the Thenardiers and goes to work for M. Madeline (Jean Valjean).

In 1820 Fantine is fired from the factory for having an illegitimate child. Over the next few months she struggles to find work and eventually is forced in prostitution.

In 1823 Fantine is arrested by Javert, but is spared by Jean Valjean. Fantine dies shortly therafter and Jean Valjean rescues Cosette from the Thenardiers.

Cosette and Marius meet and fall in love in 1831.

Marius and his friends fight at the barricades in the June Rebellion of 1832, he is reunited with Cosette and marries her in February 1833. Jean Valjean dies a few month later.

• 3 years ago

the story opens in 1815 France - who's the king it is referenced on the beginning up? - that's right after the autumn of Napoleon; the king is Louis XVIII. Cite 2 scenes of political liberalism and a couple of scenes of political conservatism from the movie. - This appears like a homework question - do your man or woman homework. Why does Javert pursue Valjean to this kind of degree? What does Javert carry as sacred? - Did you even watch the movie/study the e book/see the musical? Javert pursues Valjean simply by fact he's an escaped convict, and Javert is of the opinion that criminals might desire to be caught. He dislikes Valjean simply by fact he's refrained from Javert's seize distinctive cases. Javert holds the regulation and faith sacred. Why does the revolution fail in the direction of the tip? - simply by fact all human beings dies... incredibly the barricades the two surrendered, or all human beings died. the two Jean Valjean and Javert are comparable in that they've been given some thing in the story. What have they been given? - returned, homework question!

• Nelson
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It is the history of France in 1832, under King Louis Philippe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

The original book, Les Miserables, was a fictional retelling, of very real historical events, that uses real places and some real names of the times, but is still a somewhat fictional story.

But the events it uses........were real enough. It is not about the French Revolution, which took place in 1789. The story climaxes with the June 1832 student rebellion, that was quickly squashed and largely forgotten.......but was instrumental in leading to later, larger rebellions.

General Lamarque, was a popular and well loved General, and his death, was the touchstone that sparked the Republican student uprising. They used his death, as the rallying cry, to fight against the monarchy. All the French revolution did, was replace one king, with another .

The events of the times, was that there really was a Cholera outbreak at the time, and it was claiming most of the poorer classes......decimating the ranks of ordinary citizens......which is what they were revolting about, better conditions, better living conditions, for the little people.

The divide between kings and the rich nobility, and the peasants was too wide........too great.......and could not be tolerated or supported any longer. So the people rose up. Or tried to.

But that year........as the movie and book tells us.........the poorly armed students were no match for the Royal guard......who did not have much trouble obliterating them.....and then life continued............with little change, for some time.

The book is about that forgotten 1832 student rebellion. .......and of course, the life of Jean Valjean, and how he ended up on that barricade too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.