Major vs. Minor? Double Major?

Hi. I'm in High School, and I would like to major in Biomedical Engineering (Bachelors Degree). However, I would also like to focus my interest on Biochemistry. I am aware of double majoring, however, that would be very rigorous and challenging. My friend suggested that I can Major in Biomedical Engineering, and simply get a Minor in Biochemistry. My ultimate goal is to go into Medical School and become a Doctor. Can someone please provide me with more information regarding this subject, including:

How rigorous would a BME/ BoiChem Major be?

How rigorous would a BME Major + BioChem Minor be?

How quickly can each of these options be achieved?

Would getting the additional degree in Biochemistry even be worth it, for Med School?

What steps are involved in Double Major/ Major + Minor?

Favorite Answer

If you plan on going to medical school your degree doesn't matter a whole lot. You could get a degree in just about anything as long as you get good grades and prepare yourself for the MCAT exams. Now you are probably going to want to get a degree in a field that you like and a major in biochemistry, biology, or chemistry will prepare you a whole lot more then getting a history degree. Major in something that interests you and that you can do well in.

I would say that you should focus on one major, not worry about a second major or minor, and focus on using your extra time on getting involved in clubs and volunteer work. You can use those to build up references and so that you can get letters of recommendation when you need them. If you really want to study biochemistry I would major in it and not worry about the engineering degree. If you want the engineering degree and want to study then go and get a minor in biochemistry. I wouldn't do a double major.

I would just get a degree in Biomedical engineering and focus on that right away. You can always start the minor latter if you feel you need it. Also the great thing about getting a degree in Biomedical Engineering is that you can get a great job right out of college and start earning money. You also don't want to burn yourself out getting your bachelors because you still have to go to medical school. Also remember that it isn't uncommon for people to change majors in college and go down a completely different career path then where they started. Just because you want to do that now doesn't mean that's what you'll actually do. Keep an open mind.

Source(s): Out of high school I went to college knowing for sure that I wanted to be an Aerospace engineer and get my degree in Aerospace Engineering. After 3 semesters I changed my mind and decided to major in Chemistry and attempt to go to medical school.

Drexel Majors

I am a sophomore biomed engineering student at Drexel university in philadelphia. First, I would not double major anything with biomed, it is one of the toughest majors in itself. It is very possible though to take a minor on the side because you have to take a certain number of electives anyway. For Drexel, we get to choose a concentration so when you graduate, you get a bachelors of science degree in biomed with a concentration in ____. The five concentration areas at Drexel are biomedical devices, biomaterials and tissue engineering, biomedical informatics, neuroengineering, and biomechanics. There is not biochem, but I know a lot of other schools may offer that as a concentration area which is something to keep in mind when deciding on a school. If you are in it just to become a physician of some kind, biomed may be good to help you stand out, but it is also a lot harder and your gpa will show it. My roomate wanted to be a physician but dropped out of the biomed program freshman year to biology. The best part is, if you get two years into it and you think you don't want to be a doctor, you can easily complete your degree and have a more than lucrative degree in biomed. A lot of schools also offer bs/ms programs. Drexel has a 5 year bachelors/masters program where students with a 3.2 gpa can get their masters after 5 years. You can declare a double major or minor by talking to your advisor once you get in school. For a minor, you may not need to worry about it right away. I hope it works out for you. If you are on the east coast check out drexel. It is expensive and they are on the quarter schedule so it is a faster pace but overall, with the co-op program built in, you gain a lot of hands on experience that you wouldn't otherwise get in undergrad.

Drexel Minors

Double Majors are very hard to reap and you'll be able to be in school a lot longer than you will have deliberate. I have been a Psych predominant and simply acquired my accomplice's degree. At my university I transferred to, I was going to soak up one more most important, music management, however I would want 50+ credit for Psychology to get my Bachelor's degree and eighty+ to get my measure in song management. It could traditionally take me about 5 years to get it done. That doesn't look like so much but whilst you spent two years getting your partner's, it will have to take best two years to get your Bachelor's afterwards, now not 5! They may be able to be done, but it surely's a variety of work and a enormous period of time. Specially if you additionally need to minor in something. My recommendation is to principal in the one you quite wish to work in. Minor within the one you might use as a backup, and use all of your electives for ingenious writing lessons.

• C7S

Most Engineering programs do not allow you to double major at all. Some people are not even allowed to take minors if their grades are low.

You would have to check with your school first.