B asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 7 years ago

Torque Wrench Questions?

I am looking into buying a torque wrench so I quit guessing tightness while I'm working on my dirtbike. My problem is, some torques, like the clutch plate bolts, are torqued to 35 ~ 43 in-lbs with a small 1/4 inch socket(size of driver, not socket size). Then the cylinder head bolts are torqued to 16 ft-lbs, and the magneto flywheel is torqued to 35 ft.lbs, both using a 3/8 socket driver. I'm hesitant to buy both an inch-pound and a foot-pound torque wrench being that they are so expensive.

My question is: if I bought an inch-pound torque wrench that covers the whole range of my specifications, and I bought it in a 3/8 driver, could I use my little 1/4 adapters and extensions in my socket set without messing up the torque? Most bolts are using a 3/8 driver, although the clutch plate is pretty important to be torqued right for the springs. Also, can anyone recommend a good torque wrench that covers my specs but isn't too pricy? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

I have about 5 different ones in both in.lbs and ft. Lbs as well as different drives. In your case I would reccommend a 1/4 in. drive inch lb and a 3/8 drive ft lb. You can convert in lbs and ft lbs if needed, by multiplying by 12 or dividing by 12 respectively. The 1/4 and 3/8 drive are the most often used. These two sizes should negate the use of addapters and extensions in most cases. I was taught that using them will affect the accuracy of the wrench. A good quality one new is not cheap. I have bought them both new and used but never an off brand. I am lucky in that I have a friend who owns a machine shop that can set and adjust them and certify them accurate, which I have done on a regular basis more for peace of mind than anything else. Craftsman, Mac, and Snap-on are probably the three best brands out there. Anything else I would have checked for accuracy before I used it. Harbor freight does have them very cheap but they are chinese made and I have very little faith in the quality and accuracy of them. Hope this helps you out.

Source(s): Too many years and too many tools.

In your case, you really need a 3/8" and 1/2" wrenches. In foot lbs, the 35-43 in lbs equate to 3-4 foot lbs, really too little for a 1/2" drive which many times are good for 150-250 ft lbs. Many 3/8" drive wrenches are good for 240 in lbs, or 20 ft lbs. You could use it for the two lower values, but not the 35 ft lbs, which would require the 1/2" wrench.

• Dan H

I have three torque wrenches. One for inch pounds, one for medium torque values and one for high torque values. Yes, they are expensive, but well worth it if you are going to work on engines.

You can use adapters to use 1/4" and 3/8" as well as 1/2" sockets on any torque wrench. However, if your torque wrench will only work for the values stated on the wrench. If you have to torque something over the highest value on the wrench, that you will need the next size torque wrench to do that.

Torque wrenches are more accurate in the middle of their full ranges. If the wrench is good for 30-100 foot pounds, it will be most accurate for values between 45 and 85. For values below 45, move to the smaller wrench and for values above 85 move to the larger wrench.

Last thing. Don't use your torque wrench to take nuts and bolts out. Use your other wrenches for that. Use the torque wrenches for torquing nuts and bolts only and set the wrench to its lowest value before putting it away at the end of the job.

• ca

To do it correctly you will need two torque wrenches. Torque wrenches are only accurate in the middle of their measuring range. Go outside of that and their accuracy drops. That is why you need to wrenches.

I'm not sure where you are shopping, but relatively speaking you can find the wrenches at reasonable prices. The most economical type, and most accurate, are beam type wrenches. They should not cost more than $20 each. Check your local Sears. You can also try harbor freight, but I would rather get a Craftsman beam type wrench than a harbor freight click type wrench.

• strech

I have 3 torque wrenches (1/4", 3/8".and 1/2" drives), but in a pinch, you can use an adapter.

But have you thought of one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-940759-Powerbuilt-D...

if ya UK based try Halfords they do god stuff and if ya look after ya tools you'll still be spannering like me 50 years down the road.