Has anyone ever gotten cold feet?

Maybe not the best turn of phrase, but I was at MEPS the other day and I was swearing in for DEP. All the stories I read everyone is so excited after they swear in, but I had a horrible pit in my stomach. I felt increadibly self-conscious and I began to question my motives and my ability to see this through.

I feel better now, and sure again of my decisions, but I can't shake off how much that event rattled me, how much doubt I faced.

I was hoping anyone could share similar experiences, let me know how you dealt with it, and whether or not it's normal to feel that way.

I just feel so guilty about feeling that way, as if I have somehow betrayed not only myself but my country.

Favorite Answer

for the most part all of us had doubts / get doubts, the difference is that YOU are mature enough to see it for what it is...........it IS a huge step but one you have asked for pure and simple, just remember that while THIS part sucks, is scary. is NOT fun etc etc the overall reason I enlisted IS........[you fill in the blanks for what is your reason]

All normal, don't worry about it. I was there at MEPS and the guy told me not to worry, that nothing would happen if i skipped out of military training between DEP and Basic, I just wouldn't be able to rejoin the military afterwards. Not sure how accurate his statment was but it did take a little bit of the anxiety out.

Don't worry about it. It was most likely nervousness.