Is it time for a Toddler bed?

My son hates his crib! He is 20 months old and has always slept in his crib NEVER slept in me and my husbands bed ONCE. But latly at my mothers , its a low crib , he climbs out and sleeps in the guest bed right next to it...and my mom will find him there in the morning. Well now he hates his crib here! But it... show more My son hates his crib! He is 20 months old and has always slept in his crib NEVER slept in me and my husbands bed ONCE. But latly at my mothers , its a low crib , he climbs out and sleeps in the guest bed right next to it...and my mom will find him there in the morning.

Well now he hates his crib here! But it is too big and tall for him to climb out and just screams and cries. I lay him in our bed with us and complete slience....he only whines a little if i leave the room.

The only thing i am worried about if i switch him to a toddler bed is him getting up in the middle of the night and opening doors and getting into things....he isnt that good at opening doors but has done it before.

Anyone have any advice ?
Update: forgot to add when he doesn't want to go to bed ...even in a big bed he keeps coming out to the living room and i just put him right back and say " no its night night time"