Is it time for a Toddler bed?

My son hates his crib! He is 20 months old and has always slept in his crib NEVER slept in me and my husbands bed ONCE. But latly at my mothers , its a low crib , he climbs out and sleeps in the guest bed right next to it...and my mom will find him there in the morning.

Well now he hates his crib here! But it is too big and tall for him to climb out and just screams and cries. I lay him in our bed with us and complete slience....he only whines a little if i leave the room.

The only thing i am worried about if i switch him to a toddler bed is him getting up in the middle of the night and opening doors and getting into things....he isnt that good at opening doors but has done it before.

Anyone have any advice ?

forgot to add when he doesn't want to go to bed ...even in a big bed he keeps coming out to the living room and i just put him right back and say " no its night night time"

• Kate
    Best Answer

I think he's ready for a bed. Honestly all three of my kids transitioned to a bed pretty easy. When they first tried getting out of bed I'd just say, "No, it's bedtime" and put them back in bed without much else attention. Just don't let it turn into a game and I think he'll be fine. This is a good age to transition because he's old enough to understand. I personally liked putting my kids in toddler beds because they were the same size as the crib, but switching to a twin bed has some advantages too, especially since he doesn't seem to be phased by big beds.

Tips on transitioning at: http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/transition-...

Toddler bed vs. Twin bed at: http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/toddler-bed...

• kristi

My son has never slept in a crib so for his 12 month birthday I bought him mattress (full) for his floor I've never had a problem with him getting up or getting into trouble at night. I have a video monitor.

• Naiara

Change him into a toddler bed if you wish, but the best way to make him sleep with less fuss is giving him your company. He will feel safe and will fall asleep in no time. And when he's asleep get out of there as quietly as you can. He will grow out of it.

If you switch to a toddler bed, for his safety, you must put a baby gate in his doorway so he cannot get out of his room. Make sure all furniture is strapped to the walls, electrical outlets are covered and anything he shouldn't get into is kept out of the room. If he prefers a big boy bed, go for it! Just make sure the room is safe for him to explore if he gets up.

i'd switch to toddler bed try to refrain from letting him sleep with you.and i'd get sum kinda gate for his room if you believe he's going to be a lil explorer.some cribs pull out to toddler beds to make the transition easier.

Its time for a toddler bed, what you can do ( takes patience) is close the door pu him in his bed and turn your back to him in the dark. Everytime he gets up put him back in the bed without saying a word. Do that and eventully hell understand. Good luck to you. :)