noni asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 7 years ago

How do I make the fried rice with pineapple at Kona Grill?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Just out of curiosity, I phoned the Chandler, Arizona Kona Grill, just now, and inquired with their restaurant manager re: the recipe for their Shrimp, Pork & Pineapple fried Rice. (I co-author a food, restaurant & travel blog) and we get many requests for copy-cat recipes, one of them being authentic fried rice.

Thinking this will be the topic of my next blog, for certain; as I have personally attempted to re-create my own fav BBQ pork fried rice from my fav spot many times. I must tell you that there are a few dishes that simply can not be replicated at home, in my opinion. Most of us don't have 1 meter in diameter woks that have been seasoned for 10 yrs. We don't have access to the exact ingredients. Let's face it, La Choy oyster or plum sauce from any grocery store is laughably different than what we get at our fav Asian restaurant. Even scouring massive Asian markets (and I have) for exact ingredients doesn't do the trick in most cases. You think this is difficult..try re-creating sushi at home!

Bob, the Kona Grill manager, was extremely gracious and did reveal that one of their 'secret' ingredients for Kona Grill's beloved shrimp, pork & pineapple fried rice is that they use andouille sausage. <quote> "..other than that, we honestly don't use any secret ingredients.". (soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, peanut oil, minced fresh ginger, minced garlic, sweet & sour sauce, beaten eggs, celery, onions, pork, shrimp, minced carrots, snap peas, pineapple..andouille sausage). Great place..I'll definitely have to stop by when I'm near one of their locations.

Your best bet is to ask to speak to the staff at Kona Grill the next time you're there and see if they will agree to a little demonstration for you to view just how they do it. (don't laugh, I've requested this on several occasions in restaurants all over the world and I've never been disappointed). Naturally, being considerate by going in on off-peak hours is best.

Copy-cat recipe for Kona Grill's grilled chicken rice salad:

cook eat share.com-Kona Grill-grilled chicken rice salad recipe:

http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/grilled-chicken-ri...

Copy-cat recipe basic pineapple rice:

cook eat share.com-pineapple rice recipe:

http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/pineapple-rice-573...

Kona Grill

3111 W. Chandler Blvd.

Chandler, Arizona

(480) 792-1711

food network.com-Guys Big Bite-fried rice recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/bbq-p...

basic fried rice recipe-Food Network:

For the pork (sausage, shrimp):

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup oyster sauce

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 pound pork tenderloin

1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce

For the rice:

4 tablespoons canola oil

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1/2 cup diced red bell pepper

1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper

1 cup diced red onion

1/2 cup thinly sliced green cabbage

1/2 cup thinly sliced snap peas

1/2 cup peeled, diced carrot

1/2 cup diced celery

1 tablespoon minced garlic

6 cups short-grain white rice, cooked and cooled

3 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup oyster sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1/2 cup chopped green onion

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions

In medium bowl, add soy and oyster sauce, ginger and garlic, and sesame oil. Add pork/shrimp/beef/sausage and let marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Heat grill to medium-high, and grill meat (shrimp last as it cooks quickly) on both sides until done. Heat remaining marinade to 165 degrees F and use to baste meat as it cooks. When meat is almost cooked through, glaze both sides with sweet and sour sauce and finish cooking while sauce caramelizes on meat. Remove from grill, allow to stand for 10 minutes, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.

Rice: While meat is standing, heat oil in wok or large skillet on high heat until oil almost begins to smoke. Add ginger, as well as all vegetables except garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked, then add garlic. Before garlic browns, add rice and mix rapidly so rice does not stick to sides of wok or pan.

Once entire mixture is thoroughly combined, pour beaten eggs over rice and vegetables, and toss again rapidly until all egg is cooked. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. Mix thoroughly and then add pork.

Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.

• 4 years ago

Yellow Rice with Grilled Vegetables with garlic shrimp or fried calamari.

• 3 years ago

like both, fruits: berries, oranges, pears, peaches, dragonfruit, pomegranate.... Vegetables: CUCUMBERS, bok choy, green beans, broccoli,.... My spouse and i guess the two are great.

• Joann
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

They both are Just the thing for your health. If you eat both, you're better off. But yea, I've choose fruits because they taste better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.