Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What kind of diploma would I need in order to go to college in the U.S.?

I am 16 years old and I moved from the USA to Germany just one and a half year ago. The school system here is much more complex than the one in the United States. In the United States you would need a high school diploma that shows you finished the 12th grade. So, I am wondering what kind of diploma would you need here in Germany in order to study in the United States? In Germany you have Hauptschuleabschluss which is when you finish the 9th grade, then you got the Realschulabschluss which is when you finish the 10th grade and sometimes people take this class on purpose for two years. Instead of typing a lot of stuff, just look here if you don't already know about the school education in Germany:

So yeah, if any of you know what kind of "abschluss" I will need please tell!

2 Answers

  • CS
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It should be transferable. So whatever diploma you receive in Germany should be transferable to most colleges and universities here. Some will have different rules so it's best to contact the school where you intend to apply to see if there are any additional requirements or testing needed.

  • 8 years ago

    US primary + secondary education is K-12 system, i.e. 13 years of primary & secondary. To apply to universities & for US student visa, your education must be equivalent to US high school graduation - 12-13 years of primary & secondary education. A-levels are the UK equivalent. Ask guidance counselor at your school what's the equivalent of 12-13 years of primary & secondary education which = A-levels in UK = US high school graduation. Has to be academic education, not some vocational training program!

    The 'haup..." and "real..." you mention here are NOT adequate. The "real..." only = O-levels in UK or 10th grade in US. And it appears these are preparation for vocational training, NOT academic education which prepares you for university.

    From wiki: German secondary education includes five types of school. The Gymnasium is designed to prepare pupils for university education and finishes with the final examination Abitur, after grade 12 or 13. The Realschule has a broader range of emphasis for intermediate pupils and finishes with the final examination Mittlere Reife, after grade 10; the Hauptschule prepares pupils for vocational education and finishes with the final examination Hauptschulabschluss, after grade 9 or 10 and the Realschulabschluss after grade 10.

    So, you should be in Gymnasium and earn the Arbitur! That's grade 12 or 13!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.