TV commercials: am I supposed to be able to read 2 lines of text in .43 second before it flashes out?

Maybe I am getting toward old-fart-ism but it seems unreasonable that the editors of commercials expect me to read at warp speed. Seems if they really wanted me to read the text on the screen they would at least give me 3/4 of a second. What's wrong with this picture? What, the punk writers are accustomed to... show more Maybe I am getting toward old-fart-ism but it seems unreasonable that the editors of commercials expect me to read at warp speed. Seems if they really wanted me to read the text on the screen they would at least give me 3/4 of a second. What's wrong with this picture? What, the punk writers are accustomed to video games?
Update: No DVR here, I live in analog land. I think my TV was probably state of the art in 1995.