cx asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Question about the term "Pit Bull"?

I've been told by several APBT enthusiasts that the term "Pit Bull" is only SUPPOSED to refer to one breed which is the American Pit Bull Terrier. They say it's simply a nickname.

But I've also been told that "Pit Bull" is just a term that covers American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

And then people also say that it refers to ALL "bully breeds", including the above ones and also Mastiffs, Boxers, Bull Terriers, etc.

Soo confused. Please enlighten me?

Best Answer

This isn't really answering your question, but it's a question that I had asked a few weeks ago. I gave BA to *nosaj* because I think he really knows his stuff, especially when it comes to *Pit Bulls.* So, maybe this will help you:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AhMpj...

Simple. They are two separate breeds, but separated by very little in the standards.

The American Staffordshire Terrier is recognized by the AKC and has a specific standard that should be used when breeding for this Terrier.

The AKC does not recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier, but the United Kennel Club (a good registry, by the way) does recognize this as a specific breed, different from the Staffie.

Both breeds were once one, however they have become quite different with different standards so when someone refers to the Staffy as a Pit Bull the terminology is completely wrong, however they, the Bulldogs, and the Pit Bulls can and are commonly referred to as "bully breeds".

Source(s): Breeder, retired

Confusion is surely created in view that so many news studies and articles regularly finally end up calling a canine that is not even a bully breed mix, a "pit bull" or "pit bull sort canine". So in that feel, I hate no longer only how the term is used, but how legal guidelines are being made to ban and dictate rules (like necessary muzzling) for dogs that aren't hazardous just seeing that of their breed or some nebulous determination of what they "look like". What can be complicated is how the identical dog can be registered each as an American Pit Bull Terrier by means of ADBA or UKC after which be registered by way of AKC as an Am-staff. What I hate to see is when anyone owns an Am-employees and so they need to say their dog is special from an APBT in a technique that insinuates the pit bull is unhealthy but the Am-staff is "better". When I hear "pit bull" I feel of a clownish, smooth, loyal breed of dog that could be very affectionate. That's on account that I own one. Earlier than I did, I was style of scared of them on account that of what I had heard. I had a variety of mis-conceptions in regards to the breed which I undoubtedly adore now.

The term 'pit bull' has become politicized, so like most politicized terms, of doubtful meaning. When advocates of breed specific laws against 'pit bulls' want to present frightening statistics or anecdotes to further their cause, they will bring in any dog reported in any incident to be a 'pit bull'', or even deliberately expand the term themselves to include any mixed dog containing any of a wide variety of breeds, including such as Boxers, Dogo's, American Bulldogs, even English Bulldogs. Then on the other hand when they want to 'explain' why we need to 'ban pit bulls', they will launch off on dramatic narrations about how 'intense inbreeding over centuries has genetically imprinted this breed with dangerous characteristics'...but that's obviously nonsense if the term also includes any of a wide variety of breeds and mixes anyone thinks 'looks like a pit bull'.

People not part of the unholy alliance between obsessive 'pit bull' haters and the closet racist ignoramuses who agree with them just because they want to take shots at the racial groups they perceive as ' typical pit bull owners'...should just stop using the term 'pit bull'. It's been robbed of any clear meaning. 'Bully breed' is a more neutral term clearly acknowledging that it's a wide variety of dogs and nonsense to attribute narrow genetic traits to all of them. Or if you own an APBT, say so, or a unknown bully breed mix, say so (mine is obviously part Dogo Argentino, the exact appearance of one but smaller, OTOH too big and tall for a female APBT, but anyway the non-Dogo components of her heritage are not as obvious in her appearance; most people call her a 'pit bull' which is OK with me as long as there's no idiocy of trying to 'outlaw pit bulls').

Pit Bull is originally a term to associate the three original bully breeds you mentioned.

However, now a days it is used loosely to describe a dog with an abnormally large head and a short/stout snoze.

Many dogs today are mistaken as pitbulls. Such as the cane corso, and argentine dogo. (These are NOT pitbulls, it is a misconception and they are breed for different reasons).

Source(s): I should know, I own a pitbull and wish to get an Argentine Dogo in the future.

Initially, the term "Pit Bull" was to refer to the APBT. However, with recent legislation, that meaning has been changed to any dog that is "Pit bull like" in features - build, ears, head, temperament etc. Staffs, pit mixes, heck even some lab mixes fall under this category.