Why is it that not many consider disability as a human rights issue?

Best Answer

Anybody can become 'disabled' at any time rather quickly. It's much harder to voluntarily become a different ethnicity, sex. And you have to wait to become a certain age.

Even with advanced degrees, we are not considered 'experts' in a field by our own relatives. Our intellectual capacities and skills themselves are questioned.

People able to easily chose among various transit modes don't realize that blindness, epilepsy...etc ultimately determines where somebody will live, or even if they can access the grocery store, a potential/actual job site, and their doctor in these communities. Comprehensive public transit networks are a functional necessity for many people with disabilities. Otherwise you are stuck inside your dwelling.

Elected officials in Congress weren't telling everybody scared of 'health care reform' that they already get comprehensive government health care--courtesy of taxpayer subsidy. They were instead egging people into a frenzy against 'preexisting' conditions obtaining health care insurance coverage. It's politically expedient to pick on us getting affordable health care than to finally realize how expensive attempting to pay out of pocket for medicines and doctor visits. Or emergency treatments for untreated seizures...etc actually is.

• Ann

Until the Americans with Disabilities Act came along, people with disabilities essentially had no rights. If they couldn't maneuver a wheelchair to get to a destination, that was just too bad. They had no protection in the workplace from ridicule nor discrimination. There were no accessible restrooms, doorways, sidewalks, or educational aids to help them. With the advent of the ADA, some of those issues have been physically dealt with; however, the public's mentality has not been enlightened to the point of accepting the disabled as equal human beings. There is still hostility, ridicule and resentment present, and when a disabled person stands up for himself/herself or a parent fights for the educational rights of a disabled child, society still tends to turn up its nose. If people put as much effort into recognizing that a disabled person is a valuable human being as they do fighting about illegal immigration, racial issues, or gay rights, then the disabled would stand a better chance of being treated in a way they deserve.

It has alot to do with were you live, what's you disability and who is willing to help you. Myself, I live in a small town in Ar. and have no family left anymore so it's real hard for me to get out at all. I have to use a wheelchair all the time now and lost the ability to drive because of my back, 2x 7" rods in my lower back, 4 mounth's ago. The thing is you can't let it keep you down and if you do! Then you have lost the war.:-{ Every day is a new day filled all kinds fantastic things to see and do even if it''s little stuff. Smile and laugh than look around you see what YOU can change things for the better and do you best to make that change!

Yes I' in the prosses of big change myself :-} Live long and prosper my friend!

• For the same reasons people didn't consider it to be the case for Blacks or women or now immigrants.You can't "other" people who you consider your equals. If we think of ourselves as all equal than so much of what goes on without a second thought woud have to be rethought. ..oh what a horror that happened, but they were disabled after all, and that somehow makes it understandable even if not OK....We have more stringent rules about the care of animals than we do some of our most vulnerable citizens.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you saying that everyone has the right to be disabled or that disabled people should have equal rights?