How to respond to FIRST SERGEANT or SERGEANT MAJOR when deciding not to go to WLC?

I have only about 8 months until I ETS from the Army. I have also ACAPED. Today, my sergeant told me that our leadership is considering to send me to WLC. I know that they can't force me to go, and I can refuse. If I refuse to go, then of course, I will be barred from reenlistment, but I am ETSing anyway. Not sure why they even bothered to consider me when I have already made it clear for the last several months that I intend to ETS, not reenlist. I am just asking for help on a way to tell either the FIRST SERGEANT or SERGEANT MAJOR that I decline to go to WLC so that they won't get confrontational with me about it. I know I don't have to go, but I do want to be wise in the way in which I tell them that I decline from going to WLC. Any help on the matter would be highly appreciated.

• AJ
    Favorite Answer

Questions like these are completely bogus. Every Company has a merit list that lists the order of soldiers to attend WLC. While this list does change, the order is first by rank, then by promotable status, then by date of rank of everyone eligible to go. A 1SG and CSM just don't pick a name out fo the air and decide you are going to attend. Then when the Battalion gets a list of slots they get, there is usually a set rotation of which slot goes to which Company with an HHC getting more slots(more soldiers).

Going to WLC/PLDC is known several months in advance. It is not something that is done last minute.

• ?

I believe you have to have a six months or a year of retain-ability for that. With only 8 months left you might not qualify and so I would approach it from that stand-point with them and ask the question. At the same time they are just looking out for your welfare and let me offer one bit of advice. My father, who served 28 years in the Corps told me to never turn down any school or education they want to send you to when I joined the Air Force in 1972 and I served 34 years. That was good advice and I followed that and it definitely made a difference for my military career and in the civilian world later.

There are going to be a lot of vets like yourself on the outside as the draw downs continue who will be looking for jobs and careers. You having that school could make a difference on paper on your resume and if you or one of them get the job. That and some of the things that you would take away from that school probably will serve you quite well down the road and so I would seriously re-consider going to it if I were you and they wanted to give you that opportunity.

• Sas

IF YOU are etsing anyways, why even bother with that subject matter. Tell them that you want to ets anyways.