What is a good book series to read for a 20 year olds?

My friend and I want a good book series to read, and by good I mean exciting or mentally stimulating and well-written.

My friend already read Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games books. I read two books of Twilight series and few chapters from 50 Shades of Grey book. Of course my friend and I hated Twilight, and do I need to tell you about 50 Shades of Grey?

So what do you recommend?

Favorite Answer

Anything by Tamora Pierce. Her books are timeless, great if you're 12 or 20 or 35, etc. I would start with Alanna (Song of the Lioness), Beka Cooper (Terrier), or Shatterglass.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamora-Pierce/e/B000APBE82

...............................................

You could try Graceling by Kristen Cashore.

Here's a description (I hand typed it because I couldn't find it online, so any typo's are mine. Without further ado, the description:

His eyes. Kasta had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn’t shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn’t seem human…

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill --- called a grace --- are feared and exploited, Kasta carries the burden of a grace that even she despises: the grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him. Until one day, when she rebels.

....................................

Another great book is Poison Study by Maria Snyder. I couldn't find a better description, but trust me, it's good! It has some mature stuff though, just a warning. I mean seriously mature stuff, I wouldn't suggest you take it on unless you're 18, or really mature for your age, otherwise you should probably wait. (Though it has some tough stuff, it's worth the read eventually, it’s one of my favorites.)

Here is a description:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! A romance blossoms, a power grows, and villians plot. Will Yelena be able to save her friends, and herself?

………………………………..

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Starts a little slow but gets amazing pretty quickly:

My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

…………………………………..

I hope I helped, but if you don't like the sound of any of those then try this:

These links take the guess work out of choosing a book; they will match you and your preferences to a book that covers what you like to read about.

Enter a book you like and the site will analyse its database of real readers' favourite books (over 32,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://tastekid.com/

http://goodreads.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

http://www.allconsuming.net/

Good luck finding a book, and happy reading!

Well, to be honest, I never really liked the Hunger Games, but here are some books similar to that:

the Divergent trilogy (Veronica Roth)

Battle Royale(can't remember the author...he's Japanese, though)

Many of Stephen King's novels might interest you, like the Running Man, the Long Walk, the Dead Zone, IT, etc.

As for Harry Potter- like book:

the Septimus Heap series (Angie Sage)

the Fablehaven series (Brandon Mull)

the Artemis Fowl series (Eoin Colfer)

the Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan)

the Kane Chronicles (Rick Riordan)

This is actually an anime/ manga, and for many that is a turn off. However it is by no means kiddish. It's well written and a great read with a wonderful plot. I enjoyed it a lot!

Fullmetal Alchemist (Hiromu Arakawa)

• The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

A Kiss In Time - Alex Finn

Beautiful Disaster - Jamie Mcguire

Sarah's Key - Tatiana De Rosnay

The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Alborn

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series - brilliant, bizarre, and definitely stimulating! Alternate history mixed with adventures even more "elsewhere".

Diana Wynne Jones's Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin are in between her children's books and her adult books. A clever fantasy which doesn't take the fantasy world too seriously.

• KTR

I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Fast-paced, fun, and funny. Good luck!

Try reading American Gods and The Anansi Boys, both by Neil Gaiman. They're very good books that go together.

his dark materials

the inheritance cycle

inkworld trilogy

chronicles of narnia...

I really like the Fallen series, don't think that it's just another Twilight because as you read on it's really not.

Answer mine please? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgGos...