Does almond extract add cherry flavor?

So I've noticed that almond extract has a really yummy cherry smell, and I was wondering if it had a cherry flavor? I'm making red fondant to put on a cake and I think cherry flavor would be really cool. If I put almond extract in my marshmallow fondant, will it taste like cherries? Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • SONNY
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

almond has many aromas and people will interpret the odors differently however it will not add any cherry flavor at all

Source(s): An old foodies experience
  • 7 years ago

Sorry, I've never picked up on that cherry scent from almond extract. It smells like almonds or almond paste. It will not make your fondant smell or taste like cherries, but I think almond flavored fondant would be quite good.

• 7 years ago

Although it does have a distinct 'cherry' scent, the flavor won't be cherry, it will be a slightly perfumy, kind of sweet flavor, with not much other distinction. It really has no 'nutty' flavor, but it will taste bitter if you add too much. The scent will be awesome, and if it is any help, almond is a very popular flavor for fondant.

• 6 years ago

Yes . . . sort of. The primary flavoring agent of maraschino cherries is benzaldehyde which is the chemical name for the primary component of almond extract. Considering this fact, adding almond extract is the equivalent of adding maraschino cherry flavor. If maraschino cherry flavor is the same as cherry flavor in your book then your answer is yes, else it is no.

Source(s): FST 102 MARASCHINO CHERRY (Oregon State University)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Raatz
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes. Only use a little though, it's strong.

eta: This is a secret ingredient to enhance cherry pie. Cherry and almonds belong to the same family.

• mattu
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it truly is used for flavour. definite you are able to pass it, yet you are able to discover the bars lacking in flavour really. once you've vanilla use it. or you should use cherry flavouring, or perhaps orange.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.